My 3.5 year old is a horrible sleeper...it is making us crazy.

3.5 years and she has never slept through the night. We thought it would get better but it is getting worse. I dread the night. We have tried everything...every room. She gives us a hard time going to sleep. And she wakes crying or screaming that she isn't tired, she is scare, she wants to watch her show. Every night another excuse.
Someone mentioned possibly ADHD. I read up on it and she doesn't have the main symptoms.
I am disgusted, upset and nervous. She is healthy in everyway. Smart, very vocal and good in preschool. Any suggestions that may help. We are desperate!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe she is having night seizures or is scared of the dark get a nigh light. You could sign her up for a sleep study or speak to her doctor about the problem. Hopefully all that is wrong is she is just being stubborn and you might have to be more stern with keeping her in bed.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 9:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My son didnt sleep through the night until he was 4 years old. He was our first. My husband was a Marine so I always got stuck doing the night shift with him. I totally understand what your going through. First step, is talking to your doctor. We had to completly remove all sugar from his diet. Anything that had Yellow or Red dye in the food, even pickles. After a week of doing this he started having a regular bed time. It was a fight but every night at 8pm he got to watch one movie and then it was lights out. Taking the sugar and having a set bed time was the best thing that worked for us. Let us know how it works out.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My daughter was the exact same way. All night, every night. I finally could not take it anymore and laid the law down. Every night we eat supper at 6. Baths start at 7. Then it is a light, healthy snack and water, brush teeth, read a book and lights out by 8.The tone is very mellow and we do this same thing every single night. No exceptions, no changes. It took about two weeks and the battles stopped. The night waking stopped. After a few months, we did not have to sit with her anymore until she fell asleep. We put them in bed and leave the room and that is all. Once in a blue moon, we will miss the routine and she still sleeps ok, but we try to stick to it anyway. Give it a try and maybe it will work for you, too!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My dd will be 4yrs old on the 26th she used to do the same thing but we would stop naps during the day and that helped out a lot and if she did wake up we would send her back to bed the important thing is to not cave into the crying and screaming my dd has always slept with a night light but now we keep the hall way light on we are now having trouble with are 1 1/2 yr old she get's out of bed about 30 times every 3min no joke we send her back to her bed
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 1:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010