"lying" to your kids or just childhood?

Childhood is filled with alot of discoveries that we just out grow as we become teenagers and even young adults. Now a couple of these things have become this big thing even though they have been around a long long time. santa, easter bunny, toothfairy. even imaginary friend. now do we tell our children the truth or just let them believe until they are mature enough to understand the truth. most people find out by friends or siblings with out damag. i have found on this site its this big thing like we are going to damage the child forever for pretending along with them. truthfully it brings back a little bit of my own childhood when i take her to see santa. i am not pushing anything on anyone but it seems there are I put that in there because its that time of year.
so what does everyone else think?

my family did the whole santa thing my whole life.
my sister in law did the santa and everyone else gets gifts from other people as well.
so my nephews know santa and gifts from others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Santa is part of the magic of Christmas for us. I don't believe it is lying at all to let your child believe in him. Pretend play is part of being a kid, and children need that in their lives. When they go trick or treating dressed as Spongebob or Cinderella or Spiderman, they aren't really those characters. They are pretending! Believing those characters are real is part of childhood.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think people get way too dramatic over the santa thing. Its all good fun! I loved it as a child, and all of my kids love it. I think some people just have issues with their parents and blame santa for them
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I tell my daughter the real maeaning behind Christmas and Easter. We allow her to think of Santa and the ester bunny as characters from books and movies not a real person.. We tell her we put the preasents under the tree every year we sing happy b day to jesus on christmas.....its ok to let you children like characters...but its not okay for them to see them as real people.... this is just my opinion....I think you can have fun and still not lie to your kids.....
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my daughter (6yrs old) has never "believed" in santa.she knew him as someone who was assosicated with christmas..and he was someone we got pictures done with..and i told her he gave presents to lil kids whose families didnt make enuff money to buy presents..but thats it!!

the easterbunny..she never believed in..again, it was something we saw in the mall..but thats it.

the toothfairy does leave her money..LOL..but i dont make it out to be someone that flies around, sprinkling fairy dust!! LOL
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• When I grew up we did not believe in santa, easter bunny.... Therefore I did not tell my child there was one.... We celebrate family on those days and it is so wonderful. We do not give gifts either, it is wonderful and stress free.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• well as a child i remember believing in santa. But At some point my mom told me there was no santa. She was not going to give that guy the credit for her gifts. Now i don't do holidays and we are teaching our Children the orgin behide these days. My oldest is only four but when he ask about them from seeing them on tv. we tell him. they wont believe it. however when asked about the tooth fairy I told him mommy was his toothfairy
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 10:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think that it depends on what you are comfortable with as a parent. It is fine if you would prefer for your child to not invest in or believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or any other traditional holiday or rite of passage spirited magical thinking. Is it lying to your child? Technically....yes. On the other hand for those families who want to engage in the festivities as much as they are comfortable with it can be a wonderfully imaginativeexperience and a creative way to make lasting memories.  How many adults remember what they did December 23rd when they were six years old?  But they might just remember that Christmas on December 25th when Santa brought them those stocking stuffers that made them giggle with delight.  Or how they would fondly and with great anticipation give a plate of cookies for the deer and Santa.  It is fine to not to but magical for those that do.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• this will be my sons first x mas and he has presents from santa, the holly king, st. nick and family its just for fun
    AuntyMama

Answer by AuntyMama at 5:03 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think too many parents are determined to take all the fun and mystery and pretend out of childhood. Yes, we need to be truthful with our children but that doesn't mean we don't pretend with them when they 're little and as they grow up and ask us about it, we explain the complete truth and where the customs come from. How sad for children whose parents insist that they only know and believe in the complete, total, and absolute facts about everything.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i agree about the magical of christmas and ofcourse telling about the true meaning of christmas. children can have both. we pretend with them every single day when they are little. their childhood is such a short period of time why not have fun. its not hurting anyone. people have their whole adult lives to not believe in things why not keep that precious part of childhood alive for them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010