favoritism between grandchildren?

My boyfriend and I have a little girl together. She is 1. He also has an older child who is quite obviously the Grandmas(his mother) favorite. She is always buying the other child things and leaving her other 2 grandchildren out. We went shopping the other day, I was trying to be nice.. But everything she said went right back to the favorite grandchild. Things she needed to buy her and things she needed. It was like she seemed to only have 1 grandchild. She even took this grandchild, a 2 year old, on a cruise with her even though she has 3 grandchildren. When we visit her house, she will take the one grandchild in the room with her and completely ignore the other 2. Its like she doesnt even see them. Both her children have confronted her about her showing favoritism but it isnt getting any better. I dont know what to do or if there is any solution at all. Advice please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• That sucks :(
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm dealing with this right now. My mother favors my brothers daughter over my 2 kids BUG TIME and my MIL favors my stepson over my kids as well. Have you tried talking to her about it? I no longer bring my kids around their grandmas because of this because I tried talking to them and they acted like I was a nut. I'm sorry but I will not let my kids be treated like they treat them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My MIL favors my SIL's kid over our two. I know it will bite her in the ass when they are old enough to notice it. What goes around comes around that's for sure!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes, Ive tried talking to her. She claims she doesnt but that's not true. Her own kids see it. It truly sucks :( She wants us to come there Christmas but I know I'll get my feelings hurt because I KNOW she has the 1 child wayyyyy more than the others...I dont understand how people can just do that to children
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Shame on her! Although I only have one grandchild at the moment can't see myself doing that~~they are all to be treasured.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Oh we can definitely see favoritism with the grandchildren. DH's niece (now in her 20s and a mother herself) was probably the most spoiled by her grandparents. She had her entire college career (she had scholarships but she screwed them up by moving in with her boyfriend) paid for by them and her first car and I know her daughter (who is due in January) is going to be spoiled immensely, since she's the first girl in the family since her mother. After her, I'd say it's either her son that is the next most spoiled, or my other nephew..
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010