Is it possible to miscarry only one twin and still be pg with the other?

This is about a friend, so I don't know much re: details ... she said she had a miscarriage a few months ago and thought that was that, but now she thinks she is still pregnant with the other baby. She goes to the MD soon for more info. Is this kind of thing possible? I've never been pg (adopting) so this is totally out of my frame of reference.

TwoBrownDogs

Asked by TwoBrownDogs at 9:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes
    Anonymous

• Yes its very possible. I had a couple friends that were pregnant with twins/triplets and one baby died while in the womb and the others were born healthy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes. It is possible.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• yes
    doctor should have done scan after though??
    or do they not do that?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• This happened to my husband's aunt. At 9 weeks she miscarried and then waited for her period to come and it never did. After about 8 weeks she went to the doctor and he told her she was 5 months pregnant. She has a perfect, sweet 4 year old now.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• yes. It's called Vanishing Twin Syndrome
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It is possible and happens way more than more people realize. A lot of times spotting early in a pregnancy is the miscarrying of a twin.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Vanishing Twin Syndrome is not the same as miscarrying a twin and the other surviving. Vanishing twin syndrome is where the embryo stops developing and disintegrates into the other embryo, or just stays there failing to thrive until delivery. I had this with my last pregnancy. The baby is reabsorbed, not miscarried.

It is possible to have a miscarriage, pass the pregnancy and still be pregnant with a baby. There was actually an episode of I didn't know I was pregnant where the woman had a miscarriage, and had no clue she was still pregnant until she went to the hospital. THey thought she had a tumor, and found a baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes it is possible, only with fraternal twins I believe, because identical are in the same sack. Actually Kate Gosselin was pregnant with 7 babies and miscarried 1 of them, then just ended up having the 6.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• YEs, I have a friend at my church going through this right now. She was pregnant with twins and lost one. Very sad.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010