Chicken ?

What's the difference between a roaster chicken and a fryer chicken? I was at the store the other day, and they had these two different types of chicken, both whole. The roaster looked plumper, was a tad more expensive, and had a neck. That's all the butcher and I figured. Any other differences?

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• A roaster is usually an older hen or rooster so they would be bigger and a fryer is a younger smaller chicken.Had to ask my DH a former sales rep for 2 different meat companies.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think it is just the difference in size.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Good answer, Tikismom! Thank you very asking your hubby for me. Now we both know!
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Fryers are going to be more tender, since they're cooked fairly quickly. Roasters are called that because they need to be cooked longer or they'll be tougher. Definitely get fryers, no matter what. All the chickens we ever buy are from farmers who get the new chicks, raise them for a year or less before butchering them (a chicken is ready to eat after only a few months).
    Anonymous

• yes and farm raised/organic is way tastier IMO
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 12:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think just size.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2010