Do you repeat yourself?

When you tell your children to do something do you repeat yourself more than once?

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 3:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Oh constantly. And I have to say it in the same exact way sometimes too. It drives me nuts!
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, especially the younger they are. Children are just that, children, and don't have the mental capacity of adults. They need to hear something more than once to gain understanding and comprehension. Ever notice that commercials and kids shows repeat important concepts several times (Do you see the square? we are looking for the square. Where is the square?) I teach high school, and even with that age group, I reapeat instructions at least 3 times to be sure everyone has tuned in and understood what is expected.
    Teacher_Momma

Answer by Teacher_Momma at 3:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, usually. I found short phrases or even better, on word works best. If it's time for dinner say, "table" after having explained that means set the table. Kids tune out at about the third or fourth word even when they don't have distractions. Try it. I got that technique from How to Speak So Children Listen, How to Listen So Children Speak.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oh hunny all the time ...Its just like asking your hubby to finish the famos to-do list!
    smtngirl

Answer by smtngirl at 5:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I do for the kids and my s/o I think they all need hearing aids1!
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 7:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If you have to repaeat yourself alot, your kids are totally normal, and so are you.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, and the older they get the more you repeat yourself, Lol.
    daycaremom374

Answer by daycaremom374 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Unfortunately, yes.
    62many

Answer by 62many at 10:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes... my son is almost 2. I give him 2-3 chances before I smack his hand, put him in time out, or remove him from whatever he's doing.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• yeah, i ask them, i tell them, then i warn them with 'this is the last time i'm going to tell you to do this before i beat your butt...go do it." and then i have to get up and walk toward them before they do it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2008