Help me pick a second major?!

I'm a Secondary Education English major...I plan to get my Master's in English as a Second Language once I get my Bachelor's degree.

I want to have a back-up plan too though and since I plan to spend at least 6 years total in College I figured why not add some more time and money to the equation? :p

I wanted to do Accounting as my second major...I know it doesn't go along with teaching but like I said, it's a back up plan. But at the same time I think people would look at me like WTF if i said "I'm studying Secondary Education and Accounting"

So...any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you want to go for accounting don't worry about what others think.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If you plan to teach English as a second language would it help to major in a foreign language that could possibly be the first language of many of your students?
    Anonymous

• Yep... I would have to agree with anon. A second degree in the language of your choice makes sense.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would do a counseling degree, this way you could still work with kids too. The reason I would not think accounting was a good idea is because would you really enjoy that.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Do what you love. Everything will fall into place.

Answer by louise2 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would do another foreign language!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would actually minor in Linguistics.. although I may be slightly biased (I just got my BA in Linguistics yesterday, woo!).. However! Knowing the mechanics of how people acquire language and use their language to learn English as a second language might really help you understand where the kids you'll be working with come from.. it's fascinating! Best of luck to you!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• do what makes you happy cause you can't make everyone else happy
    AuntyMama

Answer by AuntyMama at 2:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Don't ask anyone's opinion on this one. You need to do what you want, after all, you will be the one with the degree. You don't want to get stuck doing something you don't like.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 3:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Ed psyc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010