What can I give my dog to stop eating her own poop?

She was raised in a puppy mill til she was 5, then the County stepped in and rescued them. However, she eats her own poop. I can't hold her coz, she smells like it & gets it in her hair! Anything I can do to stop her?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pets

• feed her can pumpkin, she will like it, but not like the smell of it when it comes out. Try about 1/2 a can and go from there. I have had success with my dog.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There is something you can sprinkle on their food that makes their poop taste nasty. I don't know the name, but any GOOD pet store should carry it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my parents dogs do the same thing! they have tried giving them things to eat to make their poop taste bad it doesnt help! my dad even washed baileys mouth out with soap one time! lol! its been 4 years and bailey has finally stopped doing it! we have no clue y tho! i think it just takes time for them to learn that they will get feed everyday so they dont have to eat their poop! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• giving them pineapples will also help..makes the poop taste funny..ive also heard that once the poop..go out and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on them..it will make them not eat it..and if they do..they will learn their lesson..(seems kinda harsh to me..but..sometimes ya gotta do whatever works)

i used to have a dog that would only eat her poop during the winter, if the poop froze..LOL..poop popsicles! YUM! hahahaha
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• What do you feed as kibble?

Stool eating is sometimes a symptom of malnutrition. Because she is a mill rescue, she could have a need that normal food doesn't supply. There is a good supplement called "Missing Link" that is a powder to sprinkle over the food. It really helped my mill rescue.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Her diet is lacking something or another. I would consult my vet if I were you.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 12:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my 5 month old cocker was from a puppy farm...we got him from a rehoming centre and he eats poo sometimes. Theres nothing wrong with his diet, but curious as to what others think...im wondering if it's a behavioural issue.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 2:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would like to know this too.

Answer by louise2 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There's a product you can either get from your vet or from Dr's Foster & Smith called Forbid. You add it to their food & in my experience (2 chihuahuas) it stops the nastiness in less than a week.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• We're going to try the punkin. My husband said he remembers when he worked with a Vet, they did that. Thank you all for the advice. Oh, we'd try the stuff from Dog Supply stores, only we don't have one. This is a small town in the mountains. And we don't go to the Vet unless it needs shots or stitches coz he robs us blind! Appreciate all your advice!!!! Merry Christmas

Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010