Is it ADHD or Mental retardation

My son is 9. He behaves so strangely like an animal and very babyish. He is in the 3rd grade by some miracle but it's no miracle anymore because he still can't read above first grade reading level. In the last couple of weeks he seems to have regressed at home and in school. He is acting more and more immature and just real weird. He has been tested by a psychologist for an array of learning disabilities including dyslexia, I get results on the 23rd of this month. I'm hoping for a diagnoses so that he can finally be pulled out of the cracks that he has fallen in since kinder. Oh my, I can't forget to mention he is also an endo patient because he hasn't grown since he was 4 so he is also very tiny. Not sure on the coincidence but his maturity, intelligence and growth all stopped around 4 years old. These issues are not new for me. I have been seeking help but the docs and schools always say just wait and see. I'm doing research on adhd and mental retardation but I need input from real moms with real kids like my boy.

morin6

Asked by morin6 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Have him tested for food sensitivities. Ask for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity is not quite an allergy. The body lacks the appropriate enzymes to break down the proteins in certain foods. This causes the protein to enter the bloodstream whole which wrecks havoc on the body. This can cause behavioral problems; prevent the brain from receiving nutrients it needs to function properly causing brain fog; and many go undiagnosed. This is how my son used to be. He'd repeat things, exhibited autistic traits, couldn't read or write, severe mood swings. Once we got everything out of his system, it was like flipping on a light switch. He's made great progress & continues to progress. He is almost to grade level.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Have you looked into things like Rett's Syndrome or Heller's syndrome? These are degenerative disorders where kids grow typically for a few years and then regress.. how is his language? Does he speak normally or comprehend what you're saying to him? Also, have you tried looking into speech pathology? He might have a Language Impairment (LI) or CAPD.. there are so many options.. just need more info!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I do not think this is ADHD, it sounds more serious. There are just so many things that could be going on. If his doctor won't do any testing, then find a doctor that will. INSIST on testing or referrals to a specialist. Your child deserves it. Good luck, Mom! I hope you find an answer soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would really suggest taking him to an SLP and asking for a Boston Naming test and a BDAE (Boston Diagnostic Aphasia Examination)- it's about a 20 page test that the pathologist will sit down with you and your boy- ask him to read, write, do some naming tasks, repetition tasks, motor movements, ruling out ADHD and MR.. as well as asking you questions about his behavior at home and school..
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• having some issue's with my 9yr old daughter..i have been saying there was something wrong since 4yrs everyone told me i was wrong pretty much..until now ..now the teachers are seeing it...anyways it doesn't sound like adhd..it sounds like something else..deff find a doc who will start testing for it all to help you..im on my search also...best of luck to you and hope all works out...
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have looked into so many possible conditions and he may have one symptom here and several symptoms with another. I can go on and on with just one day of concerns. For the most part he speaks normally but he has words that my 3 year old can say better than him and she even understands things that he may not. I try so hard to treat him as a 9 year old boy but also find myself comparing him to other boys his age then bring the bar down younger and younger. I even compare him to my 3 yr old. I have not looked into Rett or Heller's Syndrome. I get his testing results from the psychologist on the 23rd but I'm so anxious and very concerned that she will diagnose him with the most simplest condition and not the root condition. Thanks for giving me more research material.
    morin6

Comment by morin6 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I agree it doesnt sound like just ADHD. I have 2 kids w/ ADHD. Boy & a girl. They never acted the way you describe. My son has always had reading problems though. He was reading in a kindergarten level in 3rd grade BUT he was also by that time getting lots of extra help & was in Special Ed classes. By 7th grade he was finally up to grade level. Other then having some learning problems & some attention problems he was always well behaved in school & home. He is an adult now & had a job & such.
    Anonymous

• LishaBee- What is this SLP?
    morin6

Comment by morin6 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• a Speech Language Pathologist.. you can probably find one by googling "speech language pathologist near (your zip code)".. but if not I'd contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Office and they can point you in the right direction
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 12:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• or try to get a referral from your kiddos doctor if they're willing to explore other options
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010