What do you tell your kid when they ask for a present from Santa that you can't get them?

Our daughter has never asked for a gift from anyone, but two days ago she just asked for a set of blocks from Santa. And then she brought it up again today how she hopes Santa will bring her some. It's only $30, but both my husband and I are out of work and weren't planning on buying anyone gifts this year. I'm sure her grandparents will send something for her to open Christmas day, but what would you do about the blocks? It just breaks my heart to not be able to buy her what she wants, especially when she asked for it in a sweet way. She's 2, almost 3, by the way.

Emily357

Asked by Emily357 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• We always tell our kids that though Santa may bring gifts, mommies and daddies still have to afford them. My parents told my brother and me this as a child and I never thought - how awful - in fact, it kept me from feeling that Santa played favorites, or that I was never "good enough" (you know, the whole good list thing).

She's pretty young, is it possible to keep the tree or decor up and save or maybe even purchase the blocks on sale after Christmas? The day doesn't matter at all - you can tell her Santa is coming to your house next week because he has a lot to do and is tired so build up excitement while you wait, if that's something that could work out. This is easier to do with really young children, obviously :)

I know money is tight - I wish you the Merriest of Christmases - it's never easy
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• ... continued

to face such a difficult financial situation and not giving your sweet babies the only thing they've asked for.

My heart aches for you!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Well I would probably say that Santa can't make it but if you reach out to a local church, I'm sure that they will help you. When I was a single mom, my daughter got some beautiful gifts from our local church.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Omg I don't know how I forgot but my husband just reminded me...

Wishuponahero.com !
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Ugh, this is one reason my son won't be taught about Santa.

I hope you find an answer for your sweet girl! Like Hearts said, maybe a local church? Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thanks, AAAMama. It means a lot to hear your response. We didn't buy a tree, although we did get out some ornaments and hang our stockings just for decoration. It was a whole lot easier skipping most of Christmas before she started readings stories about Santa coming down the fireplace and hoping that he might bring her something, too.

I like your idea about explaining how mommies and daddies still have to afford the presents that Santa brings. Her birthday is early January and thankfully we already tucked away a hand-me-down toy that our friend gave us this summer, so maybe she'll focus on that excitement and it won't be too bad. At times like these, I try to remind myself that she probably won't remember this when she's older anyway, even though it's so sad right now.
    Emily357

Comment by Emily357 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the comments, everyone. Oh my goodness, that website Wishuponahero.com just tugs at my heart. It reminds me just how fortunate we really are. I hope someday I can go on it and answer someone else's wish. Well, I have decided not to get her the blocks and put the money towards keeping our bills paid so we can have a warm house, warm baths, and warm food until we find a job. Oh and it's not like we haven't been celebrating the Christmas season already- I already helped her pick out some of her toys to donate (one of my favorite traditions this time of year), we've watched free Christmas movies online, and listened to Christmas music- and even had carolers! Thanks for helping me realize how many gifts she has already received. Hopefully she will appreciate what she has and not be too disappointed with what she won't have.
    Emily357

Comment by Emily357 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Great job on teaching your little girl that the true meaning of Christmas is GIVNG, not getting! THOSE memories and values are the best ones to instill! :)

Merry Christmas - you're doing a wonderful job :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 10:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nothing. A "wish list" shared with Santa is exactly that - a "wish" list. It's not a guarantee that we're getting everything we ask for. No explanation is needed.
    I love your decision! Much more important to make responsible decisions and care for the well-being of your family. I'm always frustrated with those who spend money they don't have on gifts and then can't pay the bills for the next few months. Basic needs come first! And you're celebrating the true spirit of the holiday ... sounds like you're doing great!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• salvation army,churches,friends,family...........i know its hard.....i dont have the money to get my son anything for christmas this year either!! thats why my parents have decided they are going to give me the money to buy him what he asked for.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010