Which is correct: "I could care less" or "I couldn't care less"

Logically:

If you "could care less" means that you actually do care, because there is the possibility of less caring than you feel.

But, if you "couldn't care less", then you actually don't care. Right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The phrase, in origin, was 'I could not care less' which was followed by the understood but unstated 'than I do.'

And you're right --the way most people say it is completely illogical. Kind of like how people use all kinds of words they don't understand--like saying 'that's a moot point' when they mean irrelevant or unchangeable. Moot means 'debatable.'

One of the best moments of my life was an argument with a dip who stated 'walla' was an acceptable alternative spelling for the French word, meaning 'you see': voila. I pointed out that she was not only wrong, it was wrong from nothing but sheer ignorance. She was using words she was not only completely ignorant about, she was also doing so in pronouncing the word completely wrong, as well. It is pronounced vwah-la, not walla at all.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Couldn't care less. So many people use this incorrectly, and I'm always tempted to point it out, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's "I couldn't care less." That is the correct way to say it. If you say you could care less, that means you still care a bit. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Saying " I COULD care less" is saying that you COULD actually care less about something else....meaning it's not at the bottom of your "care list"....saying "I couldn't care less" is pretty much saying, it's not only at the bottom, it's off the charts of your "give a shit" list. LOL!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Linda - the word 'moot' has several meanings according to the dictionary. Ppl using it the way you stated as incorrect, are NOT incorrect.

–adjective
    1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
    2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.
    3. Chiefly Law . not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion.
    5. to reduce or remove the practical significance of; make purely theoretical or academic.
    6. Archaic . to argue (a case), esp. in a mock court.
    –noun
    7. an assembly of the people in early England exercising political, administrative, and judicial powers.
    8. an argument or discussion, esp. of a hypothetical legal case.
    9. Obsolete . a debate, argument, or discussion.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Right.

annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 11:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• To let someone know you DON'T care you would tell them you couldn't care less.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I couldn't care less....

Your logic is correct! I actually kinda wanna call people out when they say it the other way, but I know what they mean, so I don't....
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 12:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Here's a bump in hopes that more people will learn the correct phrase. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

• In wisconsin it is said 'illogically', I so hated to hear my ex.husband say it wrong way but he was soooo smarter than me and I just let it go cause he knew he was so smarter coming from the North and though others have been nicer about it stil is said wrong with everyone I know there even teachers/professors.

My 20 yr son says he agrees too but, if it is said with real sarcasm  then it should be -I can care less- cause sarcasm is always opposite.............

evertime I ever heard it said the original way  and was with sarcasm and still meant can't.--either way Im a original hillbilly gonna say it my way and mean it my way.

kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 12:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2010