Cosleeping

I have a friend who cosleeps with her baby and they love it. But hers is only 9 months old. I guess she slept with her mom till she was then asked for own bed but her mom was single. I have another friend who cosleeps with her 2 yaer old and about half the time he wants to sleep in his own bed. Again she is a single mom. So my 8 week old is going through this phase (I hope its a phase) where he only wants to sleep with me. In fact he only wants me period. I dont mind it and I feel confident about his safety with the way we do it. But I am married. So tell me about your experience with cosleeping and if and how it worked out for your family. (And please no ridiculous comments about how dangerous it is and shame on me. I have done my research on the stats, i want to know peoples experience not opinion)

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't cosleep, and not because of safety reasons, but because I wanted my child to learn how to fall asleep without me. My son and daughter are very good independent sleepers now. There are occasional weekends were the kids come in a sleep with us in the mornings. I am married so cosleeping was something we just didnt' want to do. Once you start it is incredibly hard to stop.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have no experience. Only opinion as a Nurse at a Children's Hospital. But I won't give it to you since you seem to know the "stats" about SIDS and other safety issues. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• i cosleep with my daughter. shes 5 months old. my bed is up against the wall thou. she has her own place. she sleeps against the wall and i sleep bout a foot away from her my SO sleeps on the other side of me. it works great 4 us.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 11:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my son is still young- only 6 months old, and i absolutely love co-sleeping with my son-it started out as a breastfeeding thing, but now we are over that i love it, i just love knowing he is safe with, me- even when he is at my moms house my mom co-sleeps with him too! i think its a sucriity thing for him morley- i mean he will sleep in his won crib half the time, but he sleeps more soundly and most of the time through the whole night if we co-sleep. plus i know he isn't cold. :) at first all i got was critisim for it, but i will do as i want.

ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have co slept with all 3 of my children, my second wasen't keen on it, so she slept in a co-sleeper bassinet on the bed. My first experience with co-sleeping was with my son. He slept in the crook of my arm and I crossed my other arm over him and put it on my husbands back. I was afraid he'd roll on him! Never happened though. I am currently sleeping with my 6 month old in my bed. She goes down in her crib and if and when she wakes she comes to my bed to nurse and we both fall back asleep with her in the middle or me and my husband. My older 2 have often woken up and come to our bed, something we don't have a problem with, except that our queen size bed is getting smaller as our kids get older! lol But the 5 of us have all slept in the bed safe and sound.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my daughter went through something like that when she was about a month (she's 5 months now) but when she would wake up for her bottle for the last time at night (she would wake up twice at that age) she wouldn't go back in her bassenet, which was right next to our bed. so she would sleep on my pillow. It lasted about 2 weeks. then we moved her to her crib and she stopped doing it. Good luck!
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 11:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• One more thing, more for other readers on the Q. It really depends on what studies you decide to go by regarding co-sleeping. Ultimately you are the parent and it's your choice. SIDS is a horrible thing. I have a friend who is dealing with the loss of her 1 month old daughter due to SIDS. She past this last halloween night and she was sleeping in her own crib. Ultimately there is no way to protect your baby from SIDS. Sure there are precautions, but still no definate known reason for why SIDS happens. Happy co-sleeping or crib sleeping, which ever you choose!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• its good to hear of such positive experiences. Thank you all ladies, except that which chose to be a smart alec go against what I asked AND post anonymous, seriously, come off it
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Excuse me? I wasn't being a smart. If you post a question anyone can answer. There are no rules on posting Anonymously. Can't help it that you don't like it. Don't post questions if you don't want someones opinion. NOW I'm being a smart ass. Have a wonderful night sweetie. LOL
    Anonymous

• i cosllep wiith my daughter and her dad supports it. i bought one of those $10 cosleeping beds that fit in your bed. she can sleep with us as long as she would like. i, like you, have read tge stats that promote cosleeping as a way of preventing sids!
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 12:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2008