need help!!!!

someone or something keeps taking my rabbit food!!! 2 days ago my rabbit food had a good 2-3 inches left in the bottom! yesterday i was scraping bottom but had enough until payde today i had enough for the does colony for half a day. I ended up mixing whole oats (all we have right this second) with the does pellets and giving the bucks just plain oats. With some extra hay for them all I am hoping this wont hurt them untill tues on payday. I need to find a way to lock up the food i guess it is in a garbage can the big kind plastic you put outside it can hold 150lbs of pellets Somehow the lid went missing so oi try to keep it under a shelf. I have some pellets up here for bun bun that if i mix with out half and half it will give them another day with pellets mixed with oats. But is the some way i can lock up the can for the food? I was thinking raccons or birds or something but we are seeing no tracks in the morning. I dont know what to do i cannot keep losing food like this. If i was feeding it to the rabbits that would be one thing but I am losing it somehow. If this keeps up i may have to get out of rabbits. Does ANYONE have any ideas what might help?

ladysummeraire

Asked by ladysummeraire at 11:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pets

• First of all, you shouldn't have that much rabbit food around unless you have A LOT of bunnies because rabbit food does go bad. Secondly, you shouldn't have it uncovered because it can get moldy real quick and lastly, where on your property do you have it that someone else has access to it and you should be more concerned with what the hell is someone doing on your property not just stealing rabbit for but stealing period.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Kepp the bin in the garage or in your house. Might seem inconvenient. But, I think loosing the food is WAY more inconvenient, myself.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i should have clarified i have 13 rabbits so 100 lbs of food last a month and a half. ROughly 6-7 weeks And the rabbits themselves and the supplies for them are in the rabbit shed but the doors do not lock or even close 100% we are working on it but it isnt easy used to be a shed for a 18 wheeler. HUGE doors hard to come by. And this is not the first case of stuff going missing but we cannot figure out who it is we hjave a gate up at our lane but now this. I am not sure what is causing it.
    ladysummeraire

Comment by ladysummeraire (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Set them up...restock the food and put a camera to record. We did this when the emblems off our Corvette kept getting stolen.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Motion detection flood lights would also be a good thing to install.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'd bet it is another critter. Cats, possum, raccoons, squirrels, rats/mice ~ all of them will eat rabbit food. You could try sifting some flour around the outside of the bin if you really want to know what is eating the food, or you could keep the bin inside until you can buy a new one with a lid.

Have you considered framing in a smaller door instead of trying to replace the large ones? Some 2x4s and plywood or t111, whichever is cheaper in your area, and a freebie door from craigslist (you might even get the lumber for free) would likely cost less.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2010