S/O of baby in car question...

Ultimately I know that the baby is most important and the parent(s) that left him/her in there should be shot...but if you did break the window or the doors were unlocked and you took the baby out, even if on the phone with 911, what would happen to you????

Could it turn into one of those situations that gets you arrested or sued (like the burglar that breaks into your home, gets trapped in your garage or dog attacks, and then sues you...even though it wouldn't have happened if they didn't break into your house...)??

I actually have no clue the laws or regulations on that....

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 12:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sure there would be some loophole somewhere that would make it possible for the parents of the child to sue you. However, depending on the circumstance, I don't think they would win. I think most judges would agree that potentially saving a life, is worth more than a car window or whatever. And ppl these days are so sick of hearing about dumbass parents that leave their baby's in cars, that I think most of us jsut want to see them go to jail for being so freaking stupid.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it varies state to state and even city to city.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Would a Good Samaritan law cover that I wonder? Some states have those in place.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would not break the car window, im not strong enuf!! but I would be on hte phone ASAP with the police about the child(ren). i would aslo try the doors or if the child was old enuf, try to get it to unlock the door WHILE i was on the phone with the police.

I hope I am never faced with that situation!!
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 1:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The parents could probably sue you, just because that is their right (I know I know) but I cannot imagine any judge anywhere actually taking their side.... That would be tragic.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Ash...that's pretty much what I was thinking. But...and maybe this would be a better example in my question...but if I go to give CPR to someone, I can get sued because I'm not certified...my assumption is that it would be similar.
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010