potty training help needed for a single mom just coming out of an abusive relationship...

I'm having the hardest time trying to train like son. He's a little over 3. I just left in abusive relationship with him. He doesn't miss his daddy at all. He didn't even realize he was gone for the first 3 days. Then we had to move twice. All this in the last 5 months. Like he just really starts to catch on with pee pee no accidents for days. Poo poo has always been a problem. But I can get him doing well for few days then it's like he relapses. I've tried underwear I've tried diapers I tried nothing at all. He does best with nothing at all. When he is wearing nothing at all he has no accidents. But everyone ive lived with with so far tell me that's the wrong choice. Everything so inconsistent I don't even know where to begin again. If you want to private message me I understand I don't want it create a huge debate. But with leaving abusive father trying to find a job in a place to live, and potty training my son it is beyond overwhelming. Everyone keeps telling me that I should I have him potty trained and I'm being a bad mom. I am battling depression right now from everything. So I don't even know if I'm ready for him to be potty trained. Okay sorry to vent on everyone but thank you for listening.

GoddessHeatherM

Asked by GoddessHeatherM at 12:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ok first of all....you are going to be ok. i went through exact same situation abuse, child and all. JUst be as consistent as you can and most of all DON'T LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE!. Be patient he will get it! you are doing best you can just keep at it....one tip that worked with my boys though was....peeing on a cheerio or froot loop in potty and getting a couple pieces of m&m or fav candy every time they did a good potty.. Good luck!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I did the cherioos thing too and he loved it. For a month we did it and he seemed to go pee back then. Moved again. Another relapse ... mabe cheerios again. Couldn't hurt thank you for the positive words too. I worry too much because I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to be a good single mom to a little boy. I am also constantly on guard data we will be put out if I disagree too much with our host. We are at her mercy
    GoddessHeatherM

Comment by GoddessHeatherM (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• As you already know, give him time to get adjusted (as well as yourself) however with the boys we put them on the pot backwards facing the tank so at first they could hold on for safety then the later benefit is that the tank is the view they will be looking at once they stand to pee.
    No hints for the poop issue. My older one took forever (almost 5) but my younger one did it by 18 months when we were starting older one training at a bit over 3. Mine are just 17 months apart. Youngest one always hated a poop diaper so once he figured it out we were good!! Yet with younger pee training took forever - again almost 5.
    Good luck and at least you know that eventually it will happen and tell ppl who complain about it to STFU!!! He's your kid, you do it your way!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Thanks for the encouragement. Not sure why I care so much what everyone always thinks. I try to hard to please everyone.
    GoddessHeatherM

Comment by GoddessHeatherM (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010