Signing up for military service

My friend (who is usually wrong about lots of stuff!) tried telling me that the military isnt accepting people anymore who have GEDs. They HAVE to have a diploma or they can't enlist. She said that they dont need people "that bad" right now so, they aren't letting people sign up with a only a GED. I think she's nuts! I dont know who to ask about this though....Is she right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is from the Army webpage....

Enlisting with a GED
    The Army is not accepting people with a GED in most areas of the country, however, the Army reserves the right to waive certain disqualifications and allow enlistment if deemed in the best interest of the individual and the service. If you will only need a waiver for the GED, it is highly likely that you will be accepted. Please note that when the Army did accept a GED, they were required to score at least 50 on the ASVAB.

There are some drawbacks to enlisting with a GED, such as not being eligible for bonuses. If you have 15 college credit hours under your belt, you will be eligible for bonuses. Also, upon reaching 30 college semester hours, no waiver is needed for the GED
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• "Each of the services strictly limit the number of high school dropouts (which includes GED holders) who can enlist each year. This is because years of military enlistment statistics have shown that this category of enlistees fail to complete their entire first term of military service at about twice the rate of those with a high school diploma or those with college credits."...
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/faqged.htm

----
    Makes sense to me...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would think eliminating people solely based on having a GED is going to leave out a lot of otherwise qualified people

~ Based on military data, this segment of new recruits statistically does not benefit the longterm objective and mission of the military... So, have a GED and want to join the military? Take some college courses and prove your intent and commitment to the US military ....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• She is not nuts. Many branches are able to be much more selective right now because so many people are trying to sign up. They are trying to weed people out of the pool of those enlisting.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It is not justpeople with GED's they are not accepting and this is not the first time they have not accepted people who have GED's. Also you can get in with a GED if you also have 12 or 15 college credits.
    They are also being selective about tattoos and where on your body you have them...like if you can't cover them with your uniform or if they are gang related.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My husband was an Army Recruiter.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Look in the phone book under armed services. Talk to any one of the branches your friend wanted to go into and see why. I was never a recruiter so I couldn't give you a definite answer and I didn't want to tell you something false either.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My friend's daughter just joined the Air Force & she has her GED. So, maybe it's only certain military branches. I know the Marine's will not take someone with a GED unless they have a certain amount of college credits.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I do not know, good luck to you.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would think eliminating people solely based on having a GED is going to leave out a lot of otherwise qualified people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Dec. 20, 2010