My baby is 3 weeks old...I am exclusively breast feeding her...she will act hungry then cry and fuss during feedings, then cry and fuss some more like she's still hungry....it takes me hours to get her to sleep at night... is this normal?

she is also showing signs of GERD....anyone have experience with GERD and their beby?

desistang04

Asked by desistang04 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes my niece had gerd so bad she was hospitalized because she was classified as failure to thrive. She is great now....eats constantly lol! Breastfeeding though is kinda tricky. you may need to see her dr......maybe she is not getting enuf milk? mine would do this when my milk was low.......but is baby gaining? chck with dr.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• there's no problem in weight gain but she shows signs of acid reflux and I'm not sure if this is the cause of her constant fussiness....we will definitely be bringing this up to her doc next week
    desistang04

Comment by desistang04 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yea maybe she has reflux and maybe gas? babies are so confusing huh!...lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Both of my children had GERD. Feedings can be stressful and impossible. Both of my kids were diagnosed around 2 weeks old. You need to bring this to the baby's dr ASAP. If it is GERD, baby isn't sleeping well either and is getting an esophagus wash of acid with each feeding and sometimes inbetween. I will tell you what was done for both of my babies(it is usally heridatary for ppl and runs on my dh's side). This helped my babies: Add to the formula/breastmilk bottle a Tablespoon(may have to be thicker depending on how bad it is) or rice cereal. You'll have to cut the bottle's nipple to allow the mixture to pass through, usually in a "Y" shape cut. Sometimes you can buy these nipples already cut. If you cut the nipple too much or not enough will make a bif difference, same as the cereal thickness. Too thin for milk or too large of cut and baby will choke, not enough cut or too thick of milk and baby will have a hard time cont.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• very confusing but very worth it :)
    desistang04

Comment by desistang04 (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• cont.^^^ swallowing. Both babies had a prescription(was about $5 with our insurance for generic) Zantac. They took Zantac in a syringe in their mouth twice a day. They gradually overtime weaned down to once a day and then to every other day and then to none at all. It usually gets WAY better for babies once they start solid food and can sit on their own. Ds was off Zantac around 8 months old and dd took just a wee bit over a year to get off of it. They are good as gold now. Only thing is they throw up very easily if they get upset(they can't help it and it doesn't happen often). I would suggest feeding baby an ounce or 2 at a time with the cereal, then burping and so on. Do not lie baby down for at least 30 mins after a feeding. If its really bad they may do a special x-ray where they feed your baby a thick barium where they can pinpoint how delayed the swallowing is and how weak the sphincter muscle is. GL!

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• thnaks SweetLoveofMine.... I have a book called Baby 411 that metioned something called Thicken it or something like that to add to breast milk to thicken it up....we see her doc in a week so I'm definitely going to push the issue
    desistang04

Comment by desistang04 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My daughter had a very hard time latching. She would take forever to feed as well. Maybe you could pump and feed your baby breast milk in bottles??
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 1:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Zantac will take a few days to start working but it + the cereal was truly a Godsend!

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes.. but don't worry it does get better.
    AuntyMama

Answer by AuntyMama at 2:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010