best time to start potty training

lilred07

Asked by lilred07 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best time to start potty training is when you baby is ready, if he is just not ready don't pust him/her cuz all that will do is just frustrate you.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• thanks i was asking bc my lil one is yr old
    lilred07

Comment by lilred07 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• it worked best for me around 2-in half yrs they got the hang of it and understood around that age..
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• 2 -3 years old. It varies a lot among children. Google "toilet training readiness" and read a few links.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my oldest is 22 months and he knows when hes pooped as he wants his nappy off. I let him have no nappy on during the day when im not busy and he doesnt always get the potty but has been close. He sits on it just after he has gone or doesnt need to but gets praise when he gets it. I ask him to sit on potty if he needs to which he does . summer is better than they dont have as many clothes to go through.
    vleigh

Answer by vleigh at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started around 2 with all of my girls and so far they were all completely trained before their 3rd birthdays, getting ready to start with my last she turns 2 in Feb,and she already learning so I think it is time.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It really depends on your child. Here's my story. My son was always advanced verbally/cognitively but behind physically. (He started talking 10 months before he could walk, for example.) So he understood the concept of potty a long time before his body was physically capable of holding it, pulling down and up his own pants, etc. So when he began walking (15 months) I got him a potty and let him sit on it whenever we went into the bathroom for his baths or because I had to go. I didn't expect him to do anything, but we had potty books he enjoyed reading so he got the concept. He peed in it a couple times, but he was far from being able to get to the potty in time by himself. We just continued this with no pressure until around the time he turned 2, when he began asking to use the potty and wear big boy underwear. At that point we only did diapers for naps and bedtime, and eventually he didn't want to wear diapers to sleep. cont
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Around 18 months works best for my children. I tried waiting longer with my older 2 children and it was horrific. I started my third child at 15 months and it was just a touch too soon although the process was MUCH easier with her. And I'm now training my 18 month old twins. You couldn't pay me to wait until after age 2 to train my children. I just doesn't work for us.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 6:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We certainly had accidents here and there, but by the time he was 2.5 the accidents had dwindled to one a week or so. Now I would consider him "fully potty trained" at 3 because he will go into the bathroom by himself, pull down his pants and underwear, pee, pull his pants back up, flush the potty, and wash his hands. (Poop still requires help with wiping...and he'll ask me to spray the smell-good, lol.)

Potty training was never a struggle for us; it wasn't a race, it was a gradual learning process. As a result he was never afraid of or resistant of the toilet, neither of us had to stress about trying to get it done on a certain timeline, and in the end I know that he did it when he was ready. I didn't push him nor hold him back. Now if only I could get the rest of parenting figured out...
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 7:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• 30 months of age
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010