Mold. (Please bump)

I'm pretty sure my mom has mold in her house and she seems like she's in denial about it and is afraid of what might happen. I'm not sure what kind but either way, it's not healthy. If mold gets detected in a house, what happens from there? Does the house automatically get condemned? Does any type of insurance help with cost?

Any information about this subject is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If it's black and fuzzy, do not get it airborn! That kind is deadly when breathed into the lungs. You should spray it with straight bleach, it has to be saturated.Then you should call a pest control co.. Some of them will take care of it. If it's not black mold and you can prove it came from a leak, then her insurance co. should take care of that. Hope this helped and good luck.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 2:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Most insurances don't cover mold and it depends on the extent of the mold for it to be condemned. If it's isolated, the area can be fixed or replaced but if it's been going on for a long time and it's in the a/c ducts, etc. she may be screwed on this one but either way, she needs to get out of the house because mold with mess with her nervous system, brain function, lungs, etc before it finally kills her. BTW...even being in the house for a short period of time can be harmful so I would keep myself, my kids and any family I care about out of there. Now, if there is a nasty SIL you don't like, have her spend a few weeks with mom.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010