I tried breast feeding in the hospital after having my baby girl at 35 weeks, but she wouldn't suck. So i have been pumping my milk and she takes to it very well. It seems at times my milk won't come in like it's suppose to. Is there anything i can do or eat to help my milk come in so i can give her the very best that she needs?

I still pump even though i only get less than an ounce out of both breast.

blessedmama003

Asked by blessedmama003 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried putting your baby back on the breast?
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 2:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• goodYou need to share this with your dr and also contact a lactation consultant ASAP. Call Le Leche- they've been in the milk business forever.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• drink lots with my first i had no breast so to breast feed the kid would be sucking air
    next came along he had teeth at birth by the time the 5baby i had the boobs but i let my hubby bottle feed he was getting good at it
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't know about food but I know that there are some herbs and minerals that help with this. Send me a message and I'll look it up for you in my herb books tomorrow.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You need to get in with a lactation consultant asap. They can help you get your baby latched. It will make a HUGE difference!! You can do this! Try eating oatmeal, fenugreek, and drinking Mother's Milk Tea. But definitely get to a LC as soon as you can. It can make or break you. You'll be SO glad you stuck this out, mama! Get as much support as you can, and keep putting the baby to the breast at every feeding before you offer the bottle. She may surprise you and just latch right on at some point! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• yea see your doctor asap and tel the doc about it as soon as you can he/she will give you the best advice but i have a tip for you drink plenty of water and eat helathy. also when she latches on and its in her mouth get you index finger and rib her throught up and down hopefully she sucks then hats what the hospital taught me hope all goes well and hope i have helped you good luck....
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 4:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• call ur doc and discuss this good luck x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Okay...I looked it up...Blessed Thistle enriches milk in nursing mothers. If your making a tea to take before breastfeeding, you may also want to add Hops and/or Lobelia to the mix. It will help calm and relax the baby as well as yourself. Once your ready to stop breastfeeding, parsley helps drying the milk, avoid cooking with it while you are breastfeeding though.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I assume what you are talking about is "letting down"? The milk is there, but you arent pumping enough? Try some relaxation techniques. Check out this site:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Also, if you're going to stick with exclusive pumping, check out the Exclusively Pumping Moms group here on CafeMom. If you're interested in getting her back on the breast (yes, still VERY possible) then drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010