as a parent would u sign the papers for your teen to get married?

in some states parents can sign papers so their 16 year old could get married to an 18 year old.

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 4:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• no way.
    If the relationship is strong enough for them to be married- it is strong enough for them to stay together until they are old enough on their own to get married!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• no if they want to get married that bad they can wait until they are old enough to legally do it, i would be supportive and go to their wedding but i am not going to sign for them to get married if they are underage, time goes by so fast, whats one or 2 more years if they are in love, it goes by so fast, and by then they will really know if they are really in love. i know i myself had a boyfriend at 16 and we were together for almost 3 years and i though he was it thats a long time for someone that young, and now i am married but not to my boyfriend from that time,
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'll go against the stream here and say yes I would depending on the circumstances. My oldest unfortunately got preg at 15 and both her and her bf were committed to raising the baby together. They did talk about marriage when she turned 16 and both his mom and I agreed to sign for them. In the end they decded to live together and wait for marriage. 5 yrs later they are still together and their relationship is stronger than many adult relationships.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• no seven more months and he will be 18
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't think marrying young is a great idea, but older people can also make lousy choices. If she can finish high school early & he is good for her & they are both mature, I would do it. It says a lot when parents are supportive of good choices.

Always think of worst case scenarios of the opposite choice. A lot of thwarted young lovers use their families' negativity to make them closer; consider Romeo & Juliet. In general, children (of any age) tend to react against what parents want when it is too strong. If you'd approve of the same match 2 years later, then why don't you approve now? And no, she wouldn't get a fancy wedding, just courthouse. Does he have a good job? Where would they live? Laying down some conditions in a serious discussion would probably be enough for most young people not to go through with it. If she is headed for college, she would probably get a better financial aid package with just his income.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 8:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Absolutely not! They can wait until they have a little more life experience and age if they're asking at 16.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No. If they still want to get married when 18 and a signature is no longer needed, then sure.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i dont even think they would last till she is 18 so dont sign let her get married when they are both of legal age
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 11:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010