are u as strict with your kids as your parents were with u?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 4:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• no, not at all, my dad never let me have sleep overs at our house and it made me really sad, so i can not wait for my kids to ask me if they can have one, i will pop them pop corn to watch movies, or let them rock out to music, or play dress up, whatever it is that there idea of fun is i cant wait!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nop I my daughter knows that if she makes me laugh she can get away with whatever, lucky for me she is not as bad behaved as her mom was as kid.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 4:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Depends on what you mean by strict. there is strict that is what my prents were to me. That kind of strict meant NEVER getting to sleep over at a friend's house, never getting to date unless they were ON the date(yes that's what I said), never alloed me to have a job, never allowrf me to learn to drive, never let me get a car, never let me pierce my ears. I can go on and on. It also had to be at least 85 outside in order for us to be allowed to wear shorts, and that was only during July and August. Wasn't allowed to talk to boys on the phone, wasn't allowed to have friends over at the house, wasn't allowed to have a dog or cat....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Then they wondered why I didn't want to stay there as an adult!!! I practically sprinted down the aisle to dh. I am not like that with my kids. Oh and also my own parents didn't really watch me,I was at babysitter's 99.9% of the time. They were always working and when they weren't workng were having fun alone that didn't involve me. I don't do that either. I'm a wahm and I watch my kids like a hawk. In a mother bear sense. I put their best interest first. I don't shelter them either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No my parents hated me and showed it I love my kids and don't see the reason to beat them for little things I did not spank as much as they did.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My parents were not strict enough. We had more rules and "guidelines" than my parents did. All of us included tons of love and affection.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not even close lol my dad used to be in the navy so when we were told to clean our rooms, we endured the "white glove test" so to speak. Needless to say if it didn't pass inspection, it was all in a pile in the middle of the room! I do not do that to my kids, it was dramatic!
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 9:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not even remotely. I have boundaries set up for my children and rules, but nothing like my parents. I think the biggest thing about my parents was their inability to actually listen, and just throw out arbitary rules or change rules just for the hell of it. I hated it, I always felt that they didn't really care about me or my feelings at all. We had to clean the house while my mom sat on her ass and didn't do anything but bitch that it wasn't clean enough, like gatorswife if things we're clean enough everything was thrown into the middle of the room to be picked up. My dad was abusive, he didn't like something we said or didn't feel things were being picked up fast enough he beat us with the belt. My kids aren't treated that way. They have a lot of freedom and a lot more respect than my parents had for me.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not even close.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nope not even close my parents believed in spanking firmly know days i would dare spank my children.
    foreverof4

Answer by foreverof4 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010