smoking...

Im about 5 to 6 weeks pregnant and im having trouble quitting smoking. i used to smoke 2 packs a day until i knew i was pregnant. ive cut bak extremely, i have only had one a day since i discovered i was preg but i cant seem to give up the one a day. its hard because every one i know smokes except my SO and he thinks i quit for good. i know its bad for the baby and for me so any advice on how i can kick the habit for good?

blondie09

Asked by blondie09 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I right now cannot stop. I have cut back also but I'm not confirmed prego yet. Waiting for test results but I know it's still horrible. My mother has quit many times. She says to eats seeds and hard candy it helps. The seeds keep your hands busy. She also said some spearmint gum after a meal helps defeat that craving. Good Luck. I know it's extremely hard. I personally think it's great u went down to one a day at least.
    nikincarlos

Answer by nikincarlos at 12:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm not sure that it's best for the baby if you quit completely. They can have withdrawls too. Definately great that you cut back! Talk with you dr before you cut down anymore. If you happen to not be pregnant this time, how about quitting in anticipation of getting pregnant? Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i'm a smoker and when i got pregnant that was my main concern. My doc told me that it's better to smoke one or two a day than to stress about wanting to smoke but can't. I would carry two cigarettes in my purse every day and knowing that i could smoke them would make me wait longer to smoke them. he said it's not healthy for me or the baby to stress about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• my doctor didnt want me quiting Ive cut back but he said the stress put on me and the baby would be worse than the smoking itself . . surprised me I was waiting to get yelled at about it but most of my gf's that are prego had a hard time quiting as well
    ah2590

Answer by ah2590 at 2:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2008