How do i get my son to take a bottle when he has only been breast fed so far. hes 3 months and i would like to be able to leave him with family while i run errands but he always seems to need me?

AuntyMama

Asked by AuntyMama at 4:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doctor said to just not to give in, but it was more directed for moms who need to go back to work or who are going to be away, i myself just didnt like breastfeeding even though i knew the benefits, but i did however get stuck with it for 14 months, i would never go backk and change what i did but if i ever had another baby i would not choose to breast feed, use lanolin!!!!! no one told me that with my first and had such bad cracked nipples by the second week i thought i wouldnt make it. . . .and good luck!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• thanks i guess i got lucky he latched on perfect and i dont have cracked nipples they dont even hurt or anything i just get that really full feeling if he decides to sleep a little bit longer than usual... not that im complaining cause i love sleep... but even though i love the bonding time we have i would like it if he would just take a bottle but he refuses. i tried and he refused to eat from it he just screamed at me until i gave him what he wanted.
    AuntyMama

Comment by AuntyMama (original poster) at 4:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i was in your shoes, I know its frustrating, i guess its over before you know it though, if i can do and i hated it, which sounds bad because i love my daughter and would do anything for her, you can do it too. its all just new and seems like its slowing you down but in actuality its just your new life. it took me until after everything was said and done to realize that
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• well i still want him to only have brest milk because i know its the best thing for him and when my nephew was on formula his stomach was always messed up but i want him use the bottle so i don't feel so trapped all the time. i do love him and i want whats best for him and i feel like i would not be so stressed out if i could leave him with family for like an hour or 2
    AuntyMama

Comment by AuntyMama (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sometimes babies will take it from a care giver who is not the mom. My babies took bottles of breast milk and so does the baby I take care of. Have the care giver get a little milk on the nipple so the baby knows it's breast milk and see how it goes. Try to plan your trips for right after you nurse and it gives you a window of time and perhaps they won't need to give the bottle. The time between feedings will get longer and longer, plus it isn't too long before you could add some fruit, etc. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Just try different nipples is my only advice. Good luck to you, and good for you for breastfeeding!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• YOU need to be absent. Hand baby to caregiver and LEAVE. No baby will ever starve himself. If you nrse right before leaving, he my not take a drop... that's OK. But you need tobe GONE. Out of sight, sound and hearing.

Think of it is way: If you were visiting granny and she was baking your favorite cookies, but would give you nothing but stale crackers... you'd think she was crackers! You can SMELL those cookies but she won't give you any!

Your breasts = cookies.

Bottle = crackers.

Baby can smell the milk on you. Baby's not dumb... but baby thinks you're crackers!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• LMAO to gdiamante!! but very very true. I'm now bfding my third one and have never once given a bottle. but they would take them from others. it just has to be someone else. also, try different nipples because he may not like the one you're offering. If it makes you feel better, the first time, just leave the room so you know you're there if it turns out bad lol... thats what i did. :) GL
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010