smoking...

Im about 5 to 6 weeks pregnant and im having trouble quitting smoking. i used to smoke 2 packs a day until i knew i was pregnant. ive cut bak extremely, i have only had one Cig a day since i discovered i was preg but i cant seem to give up the one a day. its hard because every one i know smokes except my SO and he thinks i quit for good. i know its bad for the baby and for me so any advice on how i can kick the habit for good?

blondie09

Asked by blondie09 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's a TOUGH road to go down, I know. I was 8 weeks into my pregnancy and I laid them down for good. My guilt started taking over. I would take a drag and picture my little embryo surrounded by smoke. Not to mention morning sickness kicked in and smoke made me nauseous, so that helped me to drop them. Honey, it's very hard, but so worth your babies health. Talk to the Dr if you are still having problems. Message me if you need to, as I have been there done that. Lots of luck to you sweetie.
    HippieChick14

Answer by HippieChick14 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• the min. I knew I was pregnant I stopped smoking.because I knew it would risk my life and my baby's... This is just something to think about

Every time you smoke a cigarette the blood vessels going to the placenta get 75% smaller then what they should be. so they baby is not getting but 25% of the oxygen it needs and if you continue the blood vessels are a risk of separating from the placenta and will cause the baby to die and you will have the chance of dying from blood loss.

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Stoping smoking is hard, but be careful, my doctor told me not to stop because my stress from stoping was hurting the baby, he told me to not to go overboard, but to not let my body get too stressed. Talk to your doc
    HaileysMommy09

Answer by HaileysMommy09 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• well I didnt quit with my first one right away until it made me sick. My bf never quit she just cut down, her little girl is fine. Its just hard for smokers like you that smoke alot, I dont think it would be too healthy for your body just to quit cold turkey you may have withdrawls and get sick. With me I didn't smoke alot anywase so it was fine transition. Good luck (and try to avoid smokers when smoking it will make you want to smoke)
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 1:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Definitely speak to your OB. I too am a smoker; andwith my previous pregnancies and this one, I have not quit. After speaking with all of my OBs, they have all stated that if you have not quit by the 7th week your efforts are actually pointless. I was told that between the 7th-12th weeks of pregnancy are those that are effected by smoking as this is when the likelihood of defects are to occur; even though it rarely happens. I was told to cut down o about half of what I originally smoked; that way I am getting my fix, and not stressing myself or the baby out by going cold turkey.

leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 1:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The question is is whether or not a smoking mother harms her child later in life, and if cancers or other issues that arise with their health were the direct result of the mother smoking while pregnant. Studies in this area have not been conducted fully, and unfortunately for us as mothers, we need to assume that this is a possibility. Do what you can to eliminate it, but if you cannot, do not come down on yourself; many mothers are in the same boat as you are, and have healthy children.
    leoangel

• I quit within five days of finding out. The first day I cut down by half, and again the next day and so on. The last day, I had one in the morning with my old smoking buddy and I haven't had one since. It will be three years in April. To tell the truth, I haven't even wanted one since. My daughter saved me from the health issues that come with smoking. And I saved her too.

A child with a parent who smokes is more likely to smoke too.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I still smoked when I found out I was pregnant (I was so stressed about it!!). Then I cut back the number of cigarettes a day and promised myself the pack I had would be the last. At that point, when I REALLy craved one, I dragged off BF's cigarette like one or two puffs. After about a week of this, my cravings went away and I have not smoked since. That was 17 weeks ago.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 5:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I found out I was pregnant on Aug 29, didn't realize that I was actually 9 weeks along, but in those 9 weeks I noticed that I wasn't smoking a whole lot, so it was kind of easy for me to just butt out, that was after I had 3 miscarriages
    pippired13

Answer by pippired13 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2008