Playing the school system...

If the kids are out 3 days straight we have to have a doctor's note, otherwise its considered unexcused absence. Well he's not sick, we're just going out of town for the holidays and pulling the kids out 3 days early. Sickness is the ONLY excuse the kids are allowed to have as excused absences even tho there is no proof required until the 3rd day.

So what we're gonna do is let them go to school in the morning of the day we're leaving then, pick them up early claiming a Dr appt, so no note needed. Then we start our trip. Then just skip out the next 2 days. 2 days doesn't require a doctor's note. And if they bring it up after the holidays, we can just write a sick note for em.

Is it wrong to play the system that way? Anyone else ever have to do that?

Edit: Ours start Holiday Break on Friday the 24th. We're leaving for our trip on Tuesday afternoon. We have to be checked in at our resort by Wed and its a 2-day trip by car to get there.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in

• Honestly, what I would do is let the teacher know that y'all will be leaving for vacation. Check to see what work they will be missing and if they will be able to make it up. Have the children do the work anyways whether they will get credit for it or not. I wouldn't lie about it (even though it may be tempting) because we as parents teach our children not to lie and then if we lie when it is convenient for us, it just doesn't make sense to children. Going on a trip can be just as educational (if not more so) as sitting in a classroom. Have a fun trip and when you get back, talk to the board of education about changing the school break for next year. It doesn't make much sense to only get out of school the day before Christmas Eve when most people do travel for the Holidays.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with Dr. Donna. She is exactly right.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I feel like if the trip on the dates you're planning to go is important, let the kids take the absence. I feel like lying isn't ok - it's sending the message to the kids that it's ok to lie to get what you want in life. Never ok. And yes, deceiving someone by leading them to believe you're doing something you're not is considered a lie, IMHO. What happens when their teacher hears them excitedly telling a friend that they're going out of town? Puts the kids in an odd position and teaches them that when they're older and don't want to tell YOU what they're really doing to make up some crazy story to cover their tracks.

Whatever course of action you decide to take, ENJOY the holidays and your trip!!! Sounds like fun :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• 3 day out and a doc's note required is extreme. The school system I work in only requires a docs note after 5 days. The schools policy is flawed. We have people taking kids out for trips... the kids need to make up the work. For and excused absence they don't have to make up the work... for an unexcused absence (trips) the kids need to make up the work they miss. If we know ahead of time we let them take the work with them on the trip and bring it back when they return... no harm, problem. That way they learn that they can have a vacation but still have to be responsible. Why not talk to the school ahead of time and work it out right???

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• What are the consequences of unexcused absences?
    You are teaching your children to lie and this is not acceptable. You need to address it with the school principal and board. There maybe a way to handle it without deceit. It is horrible to set this sort of thing up as okay for your children.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• So, the lesson you are teaching your children is that it is okay to lie to authority figures, if you don't agree with their rules. And, do you really think the school won't know? You pull your kids to go to the doctor and then they miss two days of school. As a teacher, my first thought (if I did not already see through your scam) would be the concern of the child. I would ask them how they were when we got back to school, it must have been terrible starting out their holiday so sick. Imagine your child's response - oh, we weren't really sick, we were going to Grandma's (or where ever you are taking them). If your kids play along with the scam, then they are lying for you. Sorry, but I can't find the good parenting in this one. Bottom line, if you want to take your kids out of town early, call the school and make arrangements, don't lie.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• LilyPondOasis: daycare (for babies) is designed to care for children when both parents work and do not run on academic calendars. There are no attendance requirements. If the preschool has an attendance requirement (and it was communicated to the parents), then I think it would apply. If a parent didn't want a preschool with an attendance requirement, then they are not required to sign up for one.

I follow my mother's advice on these types of situations - if you have to lie about something, you are doing something wrong.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Two votes down, already. This is why I have students in college that think class attendance is not a big deal, unlimited extensions for homework are a student's right, attempt incredibly flimsy and false excuses, and they think "I want" is a justification for everything - to then complain to the dean/parents that their tuition money ought to ensure them an "A" in their classes.

People bemoan  how rampant sexuality and drug use demonstrates the loss of morality in our society. I think it's more obviously the wide-spread acceptance of dishonesty and self-gratification. Diligence and honesty aren't seen as valuable any more.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It sounds like some of you are endorsing teaching our children to deceive and lie.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You are teaching your children that it's okay to lie. That's not acceptable IMO, no matter how stupid you find the rule about abscences.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010