how do you get to know people at church?

i am married but my dh does not go to church with me and dd? i would love to get more involved but i don't know how. i can't volunteer b/c i have dd all the time. you have to be a member to help with nursery and sunday school (i am in the process of joining) but i don't know anyone and don't know how to approach anyone. i wish i could make some friends.

bayleighsmom

Asked by bayleighsmom at 8:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Join a Sunday School class. When you're picking up or dropping off your daughter at nursery, talk to the other moms when you're in line. Our church is ALWAYS looking for volunteers for everything, from cleaning up, to nursery, to decorating, to cooking for shut-ins, everything in between. When we joined our church, my children were still small, 3 and 1, so I felt very limited as far as what I could volunteer for, but I found out very quickly there was alot I could do!!! Nursery for one, and another thing was, whenever a lady had a baby, an announcement was made for volunteers to cook a meal for her. I would sign up, especially if I didn't know the person who had the baby, I'd make a casserole or roast or something and take it over there, and that was a good way to help out the new mom, plus meet new people and hold the babies!! When you're serving the Lord, He will always make a way for you to do it!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Isn't it hard to feel like the "outsider"...does the church have a welcoming committee? They should be able to help you to meet some people with your interests and same backgrounds. I always found it helpful to join some groups, bible studies or fun activities that the church hosted. Does your church have a sponser program? It is where you are "fixed up" with another person or family to help ya to get acquianted. Ask your pastor or minister. Don't give up!!! Friends are waiting for you too!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would think that the people would be more welcoming to you. i would go to as many functions, meals etc. as I could and just be around them more.
    lisafc

Answer by lisafc at 9:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Do they have small groups? Look to see if they have that, a Moms group or MOPS. That should help.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 10:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It is hard at first to get to know people, however, according to Solomon's wisdom, when we show ourselves to be friendly, beginning with the person we sit next to in Church, Bible Study, Cell-Home Groups, or other Church related fun activities, soon, our circle of friends becomes bigger.
    LifeAmbassador

Answer by LifeAmbassador at 11:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• totaly join a small group we did and made some awesome friends in the process
    Koinina

Answer by Koinina at 1:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Get involved in activities that you can do with your daughter.
    We do nursery, Vacation Bible School, church picnic...
    Ask around or call the church office for information.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 1:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I made friends at our church by smiling! :) That and asking questions of people. Our church has SO many outreach programs- like dinner on Wednesday nights- I make sure to go to any church activities because that is how I met people. I am kinda shy, but it is helping! Now I teach on Wednesday nights too! SO much fun! Just get involved!
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 2:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Step out of your comfort zone. I know this process will be extremely hard. But you have to allow God to lead & direct you, if you are free in him he will help you to be free to be yourself with other's without worrying about how they may feel about you. Stay Prayerful sweetie:)
    binarystarr

Answer by binarystarr at 9:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Maybe try to join a Sunday school class and put your DD in the nursery. I know that at our church there are many times that only the wife or husband go to Sunday school and a couple of girls in our class have a hard time getting their husbands to go. Try praying (if you haven't already) that God will work in the heart of your DH and get him to come to church with you.
    kelly02

Answer by kelly02 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008