Mom's who've used cloth help me out!!!!

My daughter is 6 months old and has been in cloth diapers since she was 2 months. She is teething now and today developed the nastiest rash I've ever seen. (she is my 3rd) I had her diaper off of her and she was bleeding while she was expelling, poor thing and crying the entire time. This is her first rash and I put her in disposables so I could coat her bottom with rash cream. I don't want to ruin her cloth diapers or have her suffer. Other than putting the flushable liners in her diaper (which I don't have yet) are there any other way's of treating this that has worked for you?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• -Change her more often.
    -Change your detergent.
    -Strip your diapers.
    -Don't worry about staining cloth with creams.. I don't know what you use, but chances are, it'll wash right out- baby creams tend to be on the more sensitive side, so they SHOULDN'T be leaving traces... Personally I use lanolin, or bag balm on my baby at night, just because I know she'll be in her diapers longer, so I like to keep as much off her skin as I can..
    -Breast milk is another thing you can apply- either squirt it directly, or pump and rub it on.. It's nearly a cure all!!!
    -Allow as much nakie time as possible
    -Take note of what you've been eating- if it's been something spicey, that may be irritating her and making her pee more acidic.

Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• #1 is the bleeding okay? Have you called doc to be sure?
    #2 I personally would just use disposable for a while. Its so much simpler you have enough on your plate. I would bet by the time you went through a package of diapers she will be over it.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The bleeding is ok, it hasen't been excessive or alarming. Just the small trinkle at the end of her big pooh. Her rash is better now than it was earlier in the day. Still not in the clear but better. I would just like to have some idea's of what else I can do with cloth in preperation of it happening again.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Have you added juice to her diet yet? Some babies are sensitive to even the baby juices, dilute the juice with equal water in her bottle or sippy cup and see if that helps.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Breastmilk is something I've never tried. I don't use the cream with cloth because I don't want to lessen the absorbency of the diapers. Nothing has changed other than she has her first tooth just below the surface. I'm certain that is what has caused the rash. I change her often, she dosen't drink juice yet, she get's plenty of nudie time, she love's it! I will try changing diapers. I use mostly prefolds and some fleece pocket diapers. With the cost of them I'd rather not use creams on her.
    Thanks ladies!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008