IM NOT IN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT THIS YEAR AND IM TRYING TO BE FOR MY 7 AND6 YEAR OLD ANY SUGGESTIONS

I DONT EVEN HAVE A CHRISTMAS TREE UP AND WE JUST STARTED PUTTING OUIT DECORATIONS.

19angie74

Asked by 19angie74 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• Well, that's a start. Try to see it from the children's perspective and enjoy whatever simple pleasures there are. Sometimes the simpler the better. Do some baking together maybe or just watch a movie or two with some popcorn. Mix it all with a lot of love and it will turn out OK.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Take a walk or ride at night with the children and look at the Christmas lights. Bake cookies. Decorate your tree and turn the lights on. Sing carols. Don't expect the same sense of enchantment that you had as a child, but you should be able to get a mild feeling anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have been where you are, but you just have to force a smile on that face & dive right in for the kids' sake. It'll be worth it when you see their joy-filled little faces. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The tree. And perhaps a trip to see Santa...... I hope it gets better for you!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 8:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sometimes it's hard. Put up the tree, takes some pics with the kids. Their excitement will be contagious! >>>>Sending you some Holiday Spirit!! <):{)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I understand. My husband died in April and it's been really difficult to try to get in a Christmas mood. Finally decided I had to do something, so I've been baking like crazy. Playing Christmas music is both good and bad at the same time - sometimes it makes me feel better, other times it makes me cry. It's not easy, but it's pretty important to realize that Christmas is about family, about spending time with loved ones, about doing things together and creating memories. When we were kids, someone else made that magic happen for us. Someone else put up the tree or baked the cookies or wrapped a gift even when they weren't feeling the holiday spirit and weren't in the mood. Now that's our job.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Putting out decorations is a great start in getting in the Christmas spirit; therefore, that's a start. Other suggestions is listening to Christmas carols on the radio or CD; baking Christmas cookies & cakes; watching Christmas movies (my family's favorite is The Christmas Story); reading Christmas-themed stories; print off Christmas coloring sheets; sit down with your kids and help them to write a letter to Santa or even take a trip to the mall and let the kids see Santa.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Put the Christmas music on and dance around with your kids. Seeing how happy they are will hopefully get you in the spirit. make some cookies the next day and watch the Grinch that stole Christmas.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 10:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm not in the mood for Christmas this year either. My son just passed away 3 weeks ago and it is so hard. I didnt want to put a tree up, but when i got home yesterday my husband and father-in-law put it up. I didnt even start Christmas shopping yet I just want this Christmas to skip by.
    shiffy2

Answer by shiffy2 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I say fake it. If that is the best you can do then do it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010