How do I get my 9 month old to sleep at night?!

This is my third son, and I have never had a child do this, or had this much trouble breaking them from it.
My 9 month old gets up every two hours to have a bottle and there is NOTHING I can do to convince him that he doesnt need it. We have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and that worked for my older two but nothing is working. Pacis, special blanket, nightime baby tv, putting him in bed with us (another bad habit but it doesnt work anyway), just giving water, only giving 2 ounces for a period, letting him cry, even tylenol to try to at least get the ball rolling. I am sure there are more things I have tried but I am in a hurry.
If you dont get him a FULL bottle he refuses to go back to sleep and screams- not cries, SCREAMS- like you are shoving toothpicks under his finger nails.
Does any one have any ideas? I am OUT of ideas and so tired I cant see straight! I am expecting baby #4, and starting the nursing program at my college in less than a month and I have had it with him not sleeping! I have been told by several doctors that as long as a child is getting adequete nutrition during the day that after 6 months there is no reason for a child to need to eat at night.
HELP!

AndreaAKAMommy

Asked by AndreaAKAMommy at 9:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well a doctor may say theres no need for him to eat at night, but its pretty obvious that your son feels he needs too. Just feed him the bottle, and I bet he'd go to sleep a lot faster if you just let him. Is he teething btw? That sounds like how my daughter was when she teethed. GL and remember, its not the babies fault you are pregnant and starting college, a baby needs what a baby needs.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I bet I could find just as many doctors to tell you that babies do need to eat in the night. My pediatrician is one of them.

Growth spurts, teething, fighting a cold... So many possibilities.

Feed him, rock him, and help him back to sleep. You have a lot on your plate. It's not your baby's fault you took on so much. He's a baby! He's not up at night out of malice.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would feed him, personally. Good luck - it sounds like you are really tired and stressed!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sorry, Andrea. There's no ay to make them sleep. That's all internal; they do it when ready.I can also find a boatload of docs who wll tell you that babies need to be fed when they want.

Can DAD take over the feedings? The only things that give him a pass is work that involves saving human lives or heavy manual labor. (I am very cruel to dads!)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I never said it was his fault that i have so much on my plate- I just need to get this nipped in the bud before my plate overflowith in the spring! And no, that isnt his fault either- but if I have had both my sons and my SD sleeping through the night before this age you would think that in general they dont need to eat at night. He is just PERSISTENT that he has to have that bottle, and according to the chart, he is getting all the formula he needs during the day..... so why should he still be eating at night? I guess I dont get why you all think that. I dont base the fact that he doesnt need to be eating like this at night on my needs- although not his fault that is part of it.
    PS daddy works 70 hours a week and when he is home helps as much as he can, this effects both of us!
    He is not going through a growth spurt, he is not cutting any teeth, is not sick.... just always hungry.
    AndreaAKAMommy

Comment by AndreaAKAMommy (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I never had this problem with my daughter, but I have a friend who did. I believe as the parent you should decide what is best for your child I don't judge parents as long as they aren't harming their children in any way.( and to me letting a child cry is not harming them as long as they are getting enough nutrition, they have clean diapers, and they get enough attention during the day). My friend started letting her son cry if he woke in the night. She ignored him and he would eventually fall asleep. It took two weeks!!! which is a very long time to hear your baby cry at night (he didn't cry all night though just a little while each night)..but he no longer wakes in the night to eat. Her doctor told her this was perfectly fine because he was over 6 moths old and didn't NEED to eat during the night. I think he was 8 months when she started he is now over a year old.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time with this.

Although some babies don't need to eat at night, other babies do. And unfortunately, your son is one of them.

You're dealing with a baby, and you need to put his needs in front of yours. That's what you signed up for when you gave birth to him. It's perfectly normal for a child to wake up during the night up until age 3.

And on another note, you shouldn't let a baby under a year old cry it out. They don't understand.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you need to do what is best for your baby..
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Wow, thank you for repeating exactly what I just explained. I hate cafemom sometimes, anon344 couldnt even put her name for fear of being bashed, and the rest of you are too busy being judgemental to give real advice. This isn't a "who is the most righteous" competition this is "give your experience and advice you have". Otherwise, if you are just going to tell other women that they are bad moms and wrong for even trying to get advice than you have NO BUSINESS replying to anyones questions! And Kynziesmom this was not just directed at you, just so you dont feel singled out.
    AndreaAKAMommy

Comment by AndreaAKAMommy (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i think ur baby is used to the habit of waking up every 2 hours. a full bottle every 2 hours does seem much for a 9 month old. you should try the cry it out method and just endure it. play some of that classical music or whatever in his room. he needs to learn to self soothe some how.

if i were in your situation, i would just let him SCREAM it out. i wouldn't know anything other way to BREAK that habit.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2010