What are some good tips and tricks for potty training?

My son is almost 2 1/2(he'll be 3 in June) and we've been struggling to PT him. He likes to sit on his potty with his clothes on, enjoys staring into the "big" potty, hates being wet, etc. However, when I try to get him to sit on his potty with nothing on, he cries, screams, stands up and covers himself and demands a diaper. I've tried a few things already, but with no luck. Anyone have any tips/tricks that worked for them?

jazztastic

Asked by jazztastic at 12:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried charts? I made one for my daughter and used quarters, she was trained within a week. I actually still have the quarters, so I am not sure what did it, the quarters or the fun of the chart.
    ncmamaof4a

Answer by ncmamaof4a at 12:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• We have pooed and peed for playdough as a reward. One can at a time that is, We have peed for m&m's...We have bribed with buying underwear that he got to pick out. we have bribed for toys...We have played games such as aim for the cheerios or sink the golfish.

BUT what worked for us...We went to Walmart and our 3 year old LOVES gum. They have a bucket of double bubble gum in the candy aisle. Bought the bucket and everytime he went poo or pee on the potty he got a piece of gum...Gum was the culprit that got Nic potty trained. You just gotta find what is his passion and work with it. Bic's passion is...well gum..LOL Good LUCK!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My favorite boy potty training game.... "Sink the Cherrio"
    Toss a couple of Cherrios in the big potty.. and see if he can "sink" them.
    If it was summer time, like it was with my youngest boy - he peed on the trees.
    The only problem with this... I had a hard time getting him to go INSIDE.. every morning he wanted to be "let out" to go pee.

But as everyone else said.. you have to find something that works for YOUR kid.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I've been through this 5 times already so I know how you feel! Charts really worked for us, we had a star chart and when they got ten stars in a row (a star for every successful going) they got a prize of their choosing from somewhere (just a cheap one but it made them happy). My husband told them it was like earning things as mommy and daddy had to do, like their job. :) Hope that helps, good luck! Just remember one day you'll look back on this and smile.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• OMG I'm going thru the same thing. Only my son will tell me, "when I pee pee in the potty I get sticker?" He's gone 3x's and will show you the chart, but refuses to go again. I take him to daycare(a family friend) and send him with underwear and a few diapers. When I pick him up he has wore diapers all day. I ask how was his PT today? she'll say not good or bad. I work full time and feel like he will never learn in time to go to preschool. Is it possible to teach him with the little time i have left in the day?
    mum1

Answer by mum1 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008