How can I get everyone to stick to my rules? I just want my parents and the babysitter to stick to the same rules as me. Like no eating in the living room and no sippy cups. Any advice ?

Collegemommy910

Asked by Collegemommy910 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sit down with them and make eye contact like you do with a child and explain these are the rules in your home. Write them down and post them. The only other thing is to explain over and over to your child that it is not allowed and should not be by others. Just to the point and nothing negative about the other care givers. You also can say that you'll have to look for others to care for your child, but don't say it unless you really will follow through. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• On some things, I've learned to let them be grandparents. LOL

If grandma wants them eatting in her living room - then teach your kids that you can't eat in the living room at home but it's ok at grandma's house.

I kind of view the sippy cup thing differently. I would tell grandma - I will give on the living room eating but DO NOT give my kids a sippy cup.

We don't use sitters but I would expect that a sitter would do what you pay them to do and that's follow your rules and give loving care to your children.

Grandparents are a bit different. They NEED to be grandparents - that means they get to go a little crazy sometimes - and your kids need to have those "wow, I got to eat in my grandma's living room" or whatever their special thing is memories. I cherish mine still and my grandparents have long since departed this life.

Good luck either way!!!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• tell them to respect you as a parent and if they dont then tell them they arent gonna watch your children
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would tell them that you will look for others to watch your child if they can't follow your rules at your home. I find this very strange b/c the babysitters that I use as well as both of our parents follow the rules that we have set forth and enforce said rules at their homes as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I might have misunderstood. If this is going on in their homes then I would not tell them what to do.  I would still ask that they not allow it but to each their own. I would only be concerned about it being done in my home.  Kids learn that some things are OK in others' homes and not their own. It should simply be explained as the rules. No anger and just matter of fact.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• For sitters I would let them know up front what the "house rules" are and how I expect everyone (adults included) to follow them. As for the Parents, remind them that this is your house and you expect them to follow your rules, and at their house they can have things how they want it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'd tell them you're the mother and you want your kids to follow your rules no matter what they think of the rule. Tell the babysitter you can find another babysitter if you have to. Tell the grandparents that even when you were at other ppls houses you still had to go by your moms rules and that they need to respect your rules like ppl did when they watched you.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2010