christmas is gone......

My daughter age 7, again, when into my bedroom where she has been told a thousand times not to go, went into my file cabinet and found the gift tags from Santa. Of course she has to tell everyone. I now have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old who will never believe in Santa. We will never have that magical time that everyone else gets to have when their kids are young.

I'm so over it. All the kids get into to everything and no matter what we do they do what they want and we've truly tried everything. It does not matter where you try to hid something, they find it. I have even found a child trying to get the panel down from the ceiling just to find out what's in the attic while we were sleeping.

Now dh is mad at me because somehow I should be preventing this and he's also angry at dd because this isn't the only thing she has done and has warned me to keep her away from him because he's so upset. He angry at me because he thinks I should spank her so now I'm in trouble with him. (I won't spank her, I just sent her to her room to play)

Christmas is ruined. This was the last straw. We'll still do what we planned, but there is no more joy. Just a long string of things that has happened.

I know I need to talk to her. I don't know what to say to her though.

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe you can trick her somehow into bleeiving Santa dropped em off early or that you were kidding and left them out there on purpose as a joke ot to see if she'd be naughty and peek? That sux, sorry about that.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Try to come up with some neat idea like suggested earlier about peeking. Sit down with your husband and try to think out of the box on this one. Granted, I don't know what has already been said to the kids. GL hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My kids have never found anything, because I have always hid them out in the open. In fact, right now my daughter's birthday present is on the dining room floor in one of my large totes. It's been there for days, untouched. smaller gifts you can do that with, larger ones have to go to a friend's house.
    Sorry that happened, Santa won't be at our house much longer either. :(
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• or you can tell her, when she stops believing in Santa she'll only get underwear for Christmas. :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sorry about your delemma. I remember peaking one time when I was young. My mom had told me that there is so many kids in the world that he can't fit everything in his sleigh, so she had to pick some stuff up early, but because I peaked I was not going to receive those gifts for christmas. My first thought was yeah right mom already had the gifts I would get them because there is no Santa. Sure enough I got up for Christmas morning ran to the tree and discovered that I had no presents from Santa, but my brother did. I was 8 years old. I opened up all my presents and discovered that all those presents that I had seen was not there. My walkman that I wanted so bad wasn't there but my brother got his. I asked mom where mine was her words was devastating SANTA TOOK IT BACK! if you don't beleive in him he don't leave you presents. It was the worse christmas ever, but I never peaked again, and beleived until I was 12 years old.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I couldn't fit it all in my last answer, but I also couldn't help but notice that you SENT HER TO HER ROOM TO PLAY! That is not discipline that is rewarding her for her negative behavior, you don't have to spank her (although I am not totally against a spanking) to teach her to listen. You can use time outs she don't like, if all you have is her room remove all her toys,TV and anything she enjoys playing with. Negative behavior gets negative consequences, positive behaviours gets positive rewards.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think all families have a "peeker". I was the peeker in my family lol.

What we've done when there's been a snafu - either from a parental slip or someone peeking - is say - sometimes Santa needs helpers because he's got a lot to do on Christmas Eve - so he has to drop off stuff early sometimes or called and asked Mommy to pick up something for him - or has me put tags on the gifts so you're not confused thinking that doll was your brother's or something to that effect :)

Get some rest, mom and don't be too stressed - the Joy of Christmas is alive :) It'll work out :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 10:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Tell her truth, that her behavior is unacceptable and that her father is very angry. Sounds like he disaplines too much and you not enough. I don't agree with spanking, but at the same time sending her to her room just to play isn't much of a punishment. Start making her do chores for punishment.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Try hiding things in there own room.. lol....it works...
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh boo hoo. So they don't think Santa is real. That doesn't take the joy out of the holidays.... the holidays are about being with your family, the people you love and enjoying each others company. For some it is a spiritual time. Get over the Santa deal.

As for her not obeying house rules, she should be punished. Time out, groundation, losing items and priveledges... not being told to go play in her room which just tells her she did nothing wrong. Sit her downa nd explain to her (and all of them) that the house rules WILL NOT be broken or things WILL be done and taken away.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010