i am a young mother and still learning things , my daughter has asma is there a particular way she should sleep like on her back or side

ninjapenguin27

Asked by ninjapenguin27 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Asthma is a condition of the lungs. If she is having difficulty breathing then she should sleep on an incline about 30 degrees or so. Otherwise just give her medicine as instructed by the doctor. I have asthma as well and have had this condition since I was an infant. Just be thankful that the medications have a come a really long way in the last 30 years and that you can have a nebulizer or breathing machine at home.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• How old is she? Probably little baby under 6 months if you ask this question:) Today the doctors say that a baby should sleep on his back because of the Cod death. But to be honest if they sleep on their back they can choke on their vomit or saliva. Probably the best to put them on their side. Most of the babies hate and are not able to sleep on their backs. They like to sleep on their tummy. You just have to make sure, there is no cuddly toys, pillows or anything she can put in front of her airways so she can't kill herself. You can put a sleeping bag on the kiddo. Two hands and the legs in it, so he can't put anything in front of her nose or mouth. If you are worried than put her on her side. When they can turn around they usually sleep however they like it doesn't matter how will you put them down:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• many hospitals have classes on various issues. I would contact you local pedi hospital or ask your doctor for the nearest class. I think getting information from a professional is ALWAYS BEST.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• As your litle one's doctor if there's a suggestion. When my son was smaller, I would put a wedge under his crib mattress to elevate the mattress some and that seemed to help. Now that he's in a bed (he's 5 now), we have a huge Barney and he uses that for his pillow instead of a regular pillow because it keeps him a little more elevated.

Good luck - it's no fun having a sick little one!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2010