Banana cream pie for school party?

My daughter's holiday party is on Wednesday and I was asked this morning if I could bring something in. Her district (which serves mozzarella sticks for lunch) doesn't want us to send in 'junk'. I was told the rule can be ignored because several other moms have decided to but I still want to try to follow the rules. I was thinking of making a banana cream pie with my dd. We'd use real bananas, skim milk for the pudding and light whipped cream. Do you think that's still not nutritious enough for a winter holiday party?

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 9:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Most areas won't allow homemade treats, it's a health department thing, so I would double check that first. I think your idea is cute, but I can tell you that serving a pie is going to be not-so-fun in the classroom. My suggestion would be to make banana cream pudding instead - use small clear cups and layer your pudding with nilla wafers and bananas and adding a bit of whipped cream to the top. This way, each kid just gets a cup (take piece of plastic wrap and go over the top of each, secure with a rubber band and add a ribbon to cover the rubber band to make them very cute and easy to transport). We made dirt pudding cups this way the kids loved it. I got around the homemade part because we brought the stuff and my students prepared their own pudding in the school kitchen. It was so much fun!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my daughters school does not allow homemade food/treats= stupid right
    my daughter can not eat ANY artifical food dyes, pudding usually has these
    red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 are the biggest ones used
    causes her to go insane (it is not the sugar but the LAKE dyes in foods, that make kids nuts at parties with treats)
    i think you can break rules for a special party, i would type out ingredidents and place near treat,
    my daughters school does not give her ANY food without checking with me first
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I didn't even think of the dye issue. I do know that she has no food issues in her classroom though. When there's an allergy or anything they hang a notice outside the classroom door for parents to see. Thank you for that thought though because all I'd thought of was not wanting to send peanut anything in because there is a peanut allergy in her hallway.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• At my son's school they ask for things that are easy to serve and to avoid things like cakes and pies. if you want nutritious maybe make up some fruit cups with some whipped cream.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I like the parfait idea. Thanks!
    We can bring in homemade treats. The district only cares about nutrition not anything else. Weird I know.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sounds yummy, but like a major mess waiting to happen unless they're way older. I don't see young kids choosing to eat pie anyway. Unless...maybe if you make mini ones, using muffin liners & a nilla wafer, then a banana slice, pudding, and small dollop of cool whip...?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• They're on K. My dd loves pie. She is an odd one though LOL I think I'll do the layered parfaits. I think that'll be good and she'll like assembling them.
    Thank you ladies. :)
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2010