How can I get my son to drink something other than choc milk?

He drinks water and juice but always wants the choc milk. I have the sugar free kind and tried the one with vitamins. I just want him to try other drinks. He doesnt get it all the time but its the only thing he asks for. Any advice?

Collegemommy910

Asked by Collegemommy910 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• LOL Collegemommy, you do have to be careful, sometimes ppl on here will paint you to be the worlds worst parent for your child wanting/getting chocolate milk. :)

Something we did when our son was younger and hung up on chocolate milk REALLY badly was use Ovaltine. :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Giving mine water and telling him he would get a chocolate milk reward after he drank the amount of water he needed was what did the trick at my house.

Good luck!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• See if he will drink the Pedia-Ensures....I think they come in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry, plus they have lots of vitamins.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• don't let him have it anymore?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have only ever given my DD choc mil about 6 times in her 2 1/2 years. She does prefer milk. She has to have 1 cup of milk first thing in the morning and then she can have a cup of juice and the rest of the day is water. She doesn't get a choice.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I tell my son (8) he has to drink three glasses of water before his chocolate milk.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• To be clear....He doesnt get it a lot. He just asks for it a lot. I was wondering if there was any special drinks other kids enjoy.
    Collegemommy910

Comment by Collegemommy910 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Can't really give you any advice here. I will only drink chocolate milk (sugar free and fat free milk) because I loathe the taste of white milk. The only thing I can suggest is to either do the same (sugar free/fat free) or keep pushing regular milk and whatever drinks you want him to have.

Thankfully I didn't have this issue with my son. Like his daddy, he loves white milk, LOL. He likes chocolate too (like his daddy), but he'll drink white just fine.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Give him water and milk and keep the chocolate milk as a treat after dinner or so. You are the mom, if you don't give something to him than he doesn't get it. If you want him to try other things than tell him: you can drink this or water. He will choose whatever you offer but water. But to be honest I prefer the water for children. They need to have enough moisture and liquid in their body. Otherwise they can have headache, tummy ache or they can dry out fast. The treat drinks like fruit juice, chocolate milk, etc. are good as treats after dinner or lunch. But they are not for instead of water. And if your son likes chocolate milk, than what? Be happy he likes something at all:) Loads of moms would be happy if their children would eat or drink nicely and properly. Give him the chocolate milk as treat. You can make him behave better if you say: only good children can get chocolate milk as a treat:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If you don't have any in the house, he will eventually stop asking. For special drinks, mine like smoothies, tea, diluted apple juice, orange juice, lemonade, and chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk isn't a bad thing as long as it isn't an every day thing.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010