Diaper Rash

My daughter will be a year old on the 28th of December and she has had a severe diaper rash for over 2 months. i have taken her to the doctor and all he says is keep putting desitin on her and it will go away. She digs at it constantly and is extremely cranky from it. I have tried bag balm and balmex and a couple other things that I have heard work. Does anyone know another way to get rid of diaper rash?

deliamomma09

Asked by deliamomma09 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would see another doctor or dermatologist. That is a long time. Have you tried switching brands of diaper? The diaper could be causing the problem as well.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Desitin. Really pay attention to what she's eating. Foods that are acidic will cause diaper rash. Is she eating a lot of tomotoes, oranges or berries?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• As khedy said, I would try to see another dr. I have a toddler and when he gets diaper rash I have a hard time getting rid of it. I find that Balmex is the best for a mild rash or Aquaphor for a worse one. I recently started using cornstarch baby powder at every diaper change. It really seems to help keep his "tiny hiney" from getting red in the first place. Maybe that work for you once you get this cleared up. Good luck!
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It can be because she is teething. Try to change her nappy as soon as you feel it is wet or dirty. If you are home, you can let her play without the nappy. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritant_diaper_dermatitis

And you can use this nappy rash cream: http://www.bepanthen.co.uk/

But check out if your child has an allergy and I agree with both of the mums who wrote before me:)

And the cloths nappy is good for nappy rash as well. It smells like high hell if you don't change right after your child does a wee or poo in it. But it is more natural, it has more moisture keeping and it saves the child from nappy rush more than the disposable nappies. And it is so much cheaper as well. Ok, the washing is PIA but well, everything for the child:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• OMG...I had this question in one of my groups. My NB is 2 months. He was 6 weeks at the time. I took the groups advice and it helped a little but the docs advice worked even more. He had a butt rash and some open skin. Took him to doc and What he had me use was Neosporin on the open skin and then put Triple Paste Medicated Ointment all over. You can find the little tube at Wal-Mart cheaper than Walgreens but Walgreens have two or three different sizes and it is pricier than Desitin but it worked. He was constantly doing a #2 in his diaper and not as much now but I will make sure to always have Triple Paste in my house. Hope you get it healed soon and she is happier!
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Do you let her air out? When my daughter gets diaper rash I switch to (like you said) just washclothes with water. Another thing, when did the doctor look at this last? Sometimes it can be a yeast infection, which looks more like little pimples. Just ideas!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Change her diaper as soon as it is wet.
    Switch to different brands of diapers or cloth diapers. I highly recommend cloth diapers, for anyone but especially for sensitive skin.
    Write down what she eat every day and write down her diaper rash status every day, and look for patterns.
    Also look for a pattern with teething.
    ***Let her go naked-bum as often as possible!!** ...and, if this is possible in your climate, let her little bum get some sun - not enough to burn of course, but sunshine is sooooo good for diaper rash.
    I would also recommend triple paste, we used lots of ointments and that one did the trick for us.

Also remember these things:
    What starts as a rash can become a yeast infection, or a bacterial infection.
    Ointments seal in any moisture that is already there, so DRY THOROUGHLY before applying.

Also, I would seriously consider trying a different doctor. This one is not meeting your or your baby's needs.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing...do you let it air out? When mt son had a bad rash I would let it air dry first and then slap on a thick coat of desitin. I also made sure that I didn't use wipes (even though they were unscented) I used good ol' plain water. I also agree with changing doctor's. So many good ideas here. I'm gonna have to write some of these down :-)
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• She may have an allergy to these conventional diaper rash meds as my kids were too. A diaper rash is a form of a yeast infection. The only med I could use on my kids was monistat and yogurt to snack on. Her skin may be to sensitive for the diapers and baby wash you are using. Try different diapers and baby wash, ivory original or an anitbacteria soap. Letting her play in the nude while at home for about an hour at a time several times a day always helped my kids.
    morin6

Answer by morin6 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• she has always been on huggies so when they diaper rash just kept going on and getting worse i tried luvs and pampers and parents choice but it made it worse than it was so i went back to huggies. She doesnt eat tomatoes very often and hates oranges and eats berries like once a week. I have tried different wipes and no wipes at all just disposabel washcloths with water on them but nothing seems to be helping.
    deliamomma09

Comment by deliamomma09 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010