my daughter gets really constipated and it seems like i've tried everything in the book someone help me please

she is almost 4 months old

marie27787

Asked by marie27787 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was the same when she was under 6months (i don't know if your baby is older) i've seen it happen with friends babies too. so I'm just guessing it's normal. If you don't feel comfortable with it go have a doc check up.
    roxyguido

Answer by roxyguido at 12:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• What we do when our little guy is constipated is...We get a q-tip with vaseline on it and stimulate the anus, We also do baby crunches where you lift up the ankles{genlty} and bend her legs gently towards her belly pushing down just a tad. It helps work down the poo.

Also you can give her 1 oz of apple,prune or white grape juice. This will be very effective. Been there done that...I hope she feels better soon!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My little girl has kidney problems that cause constipation. Her doctor has had us try medicine, laxatives, enemas, and suppostiories....none of those worked. What I have found is when she is trying to go, lay her down on the floor and bend her legs, putting her knees to her chest, kind of like a bicycle. and rub her tummy. You may have to take a wipe and gently push on the area around her anus to help it come out. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 12:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• try a formula that does not say plus iron. also there are homeopathic stool softeners you should try as well. they are not laxatives they are just softeners so they wont make your baby go they will just help them go easier. there are little tummys ones that work great, also pedia something I just bought some for my daughter she has had constipation issues since she was born:( gripe water works great too for the crabbyness brought on by constipation. I hope this helps:)
    Kayla7

Answer by Kayla7 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I did the Q-tip method with my first and it worked. With my other 2 I've done some infant massage techniques. Tracing the small intestine, love this one, often makes them fart still! Water wheel on the tummy pushing leg into belly, gently! Low iron formula. I also started my babe's with prunes first, it helped! Good luck.
    Before you know it you baby will be poohing so much you'll longingly look back on the poohless days!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• *Sigh* When will mothers stop giving out poor advice?
    Just because you did it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do!!!!
    Don't stick things up your baby's bum.
    Do not give your baby anything but breast milk. No, her system is NOT ready for water, prune juice, or anything else.

Please don't confuse constipation with simply not needing to poop. Babies are rarely constipated. Usually their little bodies are just absorbing everything they need, and they simple don't need to poop. It's normal for ANYone to not poop for days at a time..
    If you feel you need to do something, change your diet- YOU drink the prune juice. YOU drink more water. YOU eat more veggies and fibre.. No need to put all that stuff into a little tummy that only needs breast milk.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• An old, old remedy that really works is the tiny thin baby size silicone suppositories. It softens the stool from the rectum up so nothing goes through the baby's whole system, and of course, once it works, it's gone so it isn't making your baby try to "go" some more, like a laxative or a stool softener that you give her orally might do. I don't know if many stores sell them any more, but if you ask a pharmacist he would probably know where to get them if his store doesn't carry them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• my ma tells me when my babies grunt that it is hard for them to go so i should put more water when i make their formula. so when i notice their dookie getting clay like and not really how it should be i put more water. it seems to help my twins.
    melissa089

Answer by melissa089 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• sorry i should have put they are 4 1/2 months..
    melissa089

Answer by melissa089 at 2:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• try talking to ur ped. to switch her formula. If your breastfeeding I would elimate some things in my diet. My ped. told me not too freak out, mine went 3 days with out boobooing, even though it may be uncomfortable for you to watch she said she was fine. Give her some pedialyte. The old wise tell is too give them a little kayro syrup with water.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 2:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2008