homemade cleaners

Does anyone use homemade cleaners and if so do you find you save alot money doing it?

amyb99

Asked by amyb99 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I haven't bought commercial anything in decades. I make my own laundry detergent, fabric softener, multipurpose cleaner, window cleaner, furniture polish... what more do you need. I don't buy ammonia or bleach either. All you need, to have a squeaky clean house is distilled white vinegar, baking soda, washing soda, borax, FelsNaptha soap, rubbing alcohol and some lavender and tea tree oil. Some olive oil and lemons for wood... that's really about it... Besides being green, it is very cost effective. I can make 256ozs. of laundry detergent for $1.49... that's equivalent to about a $17.00 bottle of Tide. While the world pays upwards of $4.50 for fabric softener, I can make the same volume for about $.75. :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't use them but i started thinking about it when I saw them being used on teh tv show Downsized (on WED channel). From what I could see, they did save a lot of money and the cleaners worked really well. The one downside is that the base for most of them is vinegar, so the smell is pretty potent for 2-3 hours.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Here is my homemade detergent:

1 Bar grated soap(we use ivory)
    2 C. Washing Soda
    2 C borax
    1 C oxiclean(or knockoff)

Combine very well. Use 2 tbsp per load.

I use white vinagar to disinfect.
    Spray your oven down with vinegar and then sprinkle on baking soda, let it set over night and wipe clean. Works very wel.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We use a vinegar/bleach combo around here. The vinegar/bleach kinds cancel each others smell out and works awesome.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We don't do it to save money....so I have never really paid much attention to that part :)

We do it for health reasons (getting all the chemicals out of our house)

I make laundry detergent and clean with vinegar and baking soda!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2010