two year olds and eating

How can I get my two year old to eat. He will be 3 in march but he just wont eat. In the mornings i make breakfast and his little brother eats like theres no tomorrow but he just refuses. All he wants is his cup of milk and his blanket. then lunch rolls around and again he wants lemonade this time and his blanket and then dinner same thing. I know he will eat when he is super hungry but this has been going on for a little while now and ive taken him to the doctors and they just tell me to give him vitamins and shakes that have nutrients in them that he isnt getting and eventually he will grow out of it. Id like him to eat sooner than later any suggestions on how i can get him to eat something.. anything!!

xsbnix

Asked by xsbnix at 10:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried letting him help you prepare the food? My 3 yr old was the same way until I started giving her only water to drink and letting her help make the meals.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• A child eats when he is hungry:) HE drinks when he is thirsty. He will find out what he wants and start to eat by himself. You can tell him like my mum told to me: you have to eat 10 spoons from this or that. No, you can't have anything else. And you can't have your dolly or anything before you finish the 10 spoons. Just make sure he gets all the vitamins and nutrition he needs. And let him to decide how much food does he want. If he will be hungry he will ask for food. Anyway if he moves enough during the day he will ask for more food:) If you offer food more times a day and he needs to eat less. Like you give him food in every 2-3 hours. So he will eat something. Maybe his tummy not that big so he doesn't feel hungry after some food.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• yes! he helps me cook and when we are done he says "oh mom im full i just need a drink now" and then runs to his room. and i started giving him water to see if that helps. it only worked for like a day now he says can i have water i love water mom! so now im back to where i started lol
    xsbnix

Comment by xsbnix (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I know he cooks with you maybe you should just leave his plate out and see if he snacks. My middle child was never much of an eater so we let him snack through out the day. I did the shakes as well, I would make smoothies myself. I would add fruits, yogurt, and a little bit of protein. My son would love drinking them and I new what was in them. Also, have you tried to asking him what he wants to eat. I know whem my kids were that age they only wanted mac and cheese, PB and J, and pizza. I would not force him to eat because it will more than likely backfire on you.

I would try talking to him and see what he wants and how he is feeling.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my daughter is 2 years i suffered same problem before .my advice give him small meals 5/6 times per day especially when he watching TV.
    duriahythem

Answer by duriahythem at 3:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010