What's up with the commercials for dishwashing detergent?

Like the Cascade tablets for example..

You see these people putting dishes in the dishwasher that are CAKED with food and sauces. Who really puts a dish in the dishwasher that looks THAT bad? I think I am going to do that after tonight's dinner as a test.. I am not going to rinse or scrub anything off of it what so ever lol If it were that simple then I would never cringe at doing the dishes!

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We don't rinse our dishes off before putting them in the dishwasher. I mean, we take the obviously big chunks of food off, but beyond that they just go in the washer. I've never understood the purpose of having a dishwasher, but practically washing the dishes before using it. My SIL goes as far as scrubbing the dishes with a dishcloth before loading them into the dishwasher. I think she may as well finish up by hand if she's going to go that far. Anyways, it's very rare for us to have anything still stuck to the dishes and we don't rinse them first.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When we bought our new dishwasher we were told it was a good idea for the sake of the filter not to put them in with gunk caked on them. We scrap all of our dishes and once in an while they might sit over night if someone forgets to run the dishwasher, but that is the longest. If we don't have enough to run the dishwasher from the whole day's dishes, they get hand washed. I don't like them sitting around. To me the ads are false advertising, but I'm not going to put that kind of stuff in my dishwasher to test it out. LOL I do use the action packs so we might be able to get away with it, but like I said, I don't want to find out the hard way that our filter can't handle it. Yuck, what a mess to clean that thing!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When we got our new dishwasher, the installers said do not rinse the dishes before putting them in. I at least make sure there aren't chunks of food on the dishes, but I don't wash them or even rinse them before loading the washer. We do run a rinse on those evenings when there aren't enough dishes to run a wash.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010