Is it better to learn from those who have been through or are currently going through what you are going through or from someone that has never been through your situation but has studied your type of situation?

frmInsideout

Asked by frmInsideout at 10:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It's better to take the advice of people that have been there. People can study a situation all they want but it's never the same as living it.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with bseastrand.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• same as answer 1
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 10:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it's smart to learn from both. People going through it, or who have gone through it clearly can relate to you in a way that someone who hasn't can't, but someone who has studied it and hasn't gone through it can often bring insight to a situation because they aren't too close the situation and see it from a fresh perspective. Be open minded, seek the advice of any who are knowledgeable, and then use the information that works best for you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Both. Usually those who have been there can better relate but only have their own personal experience to draw from. Often those who have studied findings know more about what happens to a greater number of people in the same circumstances.
    Best? To learn from a highly trained professional who has not only studied the situation but has also been where you are at. The field of psychology is a wonderful place to find those kind of people!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• People who have "studied it" can merely speculate at best. They can simply give you information. A person who has "lived it" can truly empathize with you and give first-hand-experience advice.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think both people have beneficial opinions to your situation. An outside view from someone who has studied your situation can give a clear insight on it. Whereas someone who has been through it might be clouded by the events. However, they still might be able to give you tips and tricks as to how to handle it successfully if they have. I think that both have their advantages.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Those who have been there and who have also had time to reflect on their decisions during the crisis.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That's simple. From someone who has been there.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Both. I'm willing to learn from ANYONE who has intelligent, insightful advice or opinions. I keep an open mind. I can listen to anyone who is not a moron, then separate the wheat from the chaff.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2010