just sick and tired of being dirt poor every yr for christmas...........

we've never had a great yr with money for xmas for my son. but we've always done alright for him. my husband busts his ass working, just to get his hours cut every yr in november, i can't find work, and now we have a 3 week old. my son is 5 and to be honest he would be happy with a screw driver and a carboard box! i know, he doesn't do it all the time just at papa's warehouse when he "helps" cruching boxes...anyways, we have nothing. literally shit to spend for xmas. maybe 50 bucks.
what really pisses me off is this girl i know, has two boys. one is on social security, gets 800 a month. the other just started getting ssi, not sure why? and this girl goes to someone and tell them shes crazy, and gets on happy pills, and boom! shes getting 1700 month in ssi. her husband make almost 2000 a month with his jobs. shes also getting gift card to walmart and wegmans for xmas. her kids are getting like 1000 worth of toys and stuff DONATED to them.
WTF?????
so in jan i am going to the clinic, telling them im fucking crazy and getting on medz and collecting my share!!!!!
not really, but still it is nice to think about.......

hope everyone has a great christmas!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know what you're saying and I agree. It's frustrating watching people get things handed to them while people who do the right thing, like WORK, get screwed left & right.
    Things will look up, just keep doing things the right way. Merry Christmas, I wish you the best this year and all the years to come.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I hope you have a great Christmas as well. I must say that if you need help you should contact something like Toys for Tots. There is nothign wrong with asking for help when you need it. Remember Christmas is about spending time with loved ones and making the best of it. I have been there were we haven't had a lot for Christmas and you just make the best of it.

Merry Christmas and Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i'm not trying to be rude but if you know it's going to be rough around christmas time then why not start saving money through the year so your kids can have nice things? 10 bucks here and there adds up pretty fast
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i am dirt poor also
    library has free books in lobby
    everyone on my list is getting a book
    my child is three, i have two gifts for her, play dooh and a little pet thing, neighbor gave me ten dollar coupon at local kohls, i found pet thing for 8.99, so she has these two things, i get no gov help, no help from churches or other places, do have a tree up, and the neighbor has older girl, has given me all clothes daughter is wearing now, and i think she is cleaning out basement of things her daughter has ougrown, very sweet, i might feel crappy when she and her daughter are bringing in loads of things for my daughter, but my daughter will be thrilled, and i will remember that she is in a marriage with lots of abuse, not good for her and can only imagine how this effects her 9 yr old girl, i left my relationship, daughter is happier than ever, that is my present=poor but not in situation that is unhealthy
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Christmas isn't about "getting". Instead of looking at what you don't have, try looking at what you do have. And if you don't feel that you have enough, then work to change that.
    How lucky you are to have your husband living and working, and to have 2 children. How lucky you are to have a roof over your heads and clearly a computer to post on. Many people this Christmas season will be without a home, without food, without clean drinking water, and many many more will be without loved ones who have died. How lucky you truly are.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 11:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Abundance is, in large part, an attitude.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 11:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I know your situation and ppl who take advantage of the gov. suck! But I do have to say if xmas is that rough every year try saving up all year. Like when stuff goes on clearance buy it and keep it hidden fro xmas all year long..I do this sometimes..Like one year my dh lost his job at xmas time unexpectedly the company closed it's doors no bonus no nothing we had 2 little kids and I was pregnant we had nothing. From then on when something went on clearance like clothes,shoes,toys I would buy a couple things here and there throughout the year walmart is good for clearance stuff..It really pays off buy a size bigger than what ur kids wear at the time and save it..I got my teen dd a new coat at the end of the winter season for $5 and it's nice kept it for xmas for the next year and so on.;.well you probably get the picture but I hope this helps hope you have a merry christmas:)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• josiesmommy- Sometimes people don't have any extra to put back. I have been there and done that it is hard. I felt lucky just to have enough for bills, not even thinking about anything extra. Things will get better. just hang in there. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• we did save for the year. but where did that go? brakes on truck 765.00. we had to buy a new mobile home b/cours was falling apart 7500. where we moved to lot rent up a 100 bucks. mu husbands car for some reason refuses to keep the windows in it. lol. 240, front window and back.....
    i know there are people worse off than me. my point is, busting our ass doesn't get us anything.
    apparently being "crazy" does.
    gaccck- yes thank you. im sorry. i just know my son will go to school and hear of all the cool things the other kids got and he got fucking crayons and abc book. and a pack of hot wheels. he doesnt know the true meaning of xmas, all he knows is there are toys to be unwrapped. and hes 5, htats he cares about right now! lol.
    im sorry if i have offended anyone with my vent, but it is what it is, im sure things will be fine. thsnk you all for your words, and suggestions.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I love the save money advice. Pretty hard when you live paycheck to paycheck and have rent/mortgage, utilities, keeping vehicles on the road, and all the other extras. We had to repair both of our cars in one month so there went our "savings" plus some. I have tried to go back to work but there are no jobs here so I'm at home. Kids don't understand about Christmas being about family. It's hard to make that one fly with the commercials on tv, the stores marketing all kinds of toys and things to get people to buy or feel like crap when they can't. In the fall when my DH got a very unexpected bonus, I went Christmas shopping for our kids so that got done early but that was the first time we ever got to do that.

I know it's hard but hang in there. I know several people who are milking the system but my own sister needs help and refuses it. She actually wants to work and not sit around collecting money. Frustrating.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010