What did Christ teach? What did Christ preach?

Teach: to provide instruction : act as a teacher

Preach: to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically : to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner

Do you follow Christ's teaching? Preaching? Both? Was His teaching and preaching related?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• He taught and completely obeyed the Old Testament, and He taught obedience to God the Father. I don't know that Jesus is ever referred to as a preacher. He was called Master, Savior, and Lord. He was also called a prophet. Those who taught about Christ used the word "preach" and they mainly talked about the plan of redemption and salvation which Jesus provided through His death on the cross. My goal in life is to be the kind of person Jesus was and about whom He taught. Though I often fall short of that example, forgiveness and restitution is infinitely and readily available, and for that I am very thankful.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• IMO they are very closely related.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• He came to show us that its not about the legalities, the exclusionary dogmatism, but about love. All the rest is nothing without love. He showed us a more inclusive way of understanding faith, called us to a way of living in love, of fostering God's presence, love, and light all around us. He was a voice for the marginalized and oppressed, the ones that even religion had pushed outside of the circle. By doing so he showed us that every person is unconditionally loved and that there is no room for exclusion or condescension, as we are all equal.

His was a message of change, of action, not a call to specific belief. He would be severely disappointed with the dogma and legalism we see within his discipleship today. He came to call us to a new way of life and even warned us of the dangers of getting caught up in the legalism and literalism of faith - as seen by his issue with the religious elite of his day.

(continued)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I believe in Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and I believe that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man. I believe the main point is that Jesus shows us the Way in which God wants us to live (with love and compassion), the Truth about God's character (that He is love), and a new Life full of meaning, purpose, and love for God and our fellow man.

But I don't believe that there is a set standard of belief or doctrine when it comes to meeting the above definition. Christian, in my opinion, doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith, but instead indicates a specific standard of heart, a criterion of love, if you will.

What he came to teach us is something that many people have different opinions on - Christians included...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Wow Bandgeek ... do you have Scripture to back that up?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Love, peace, forgiveness
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• To educate the TRUTH about His Father, His will, His future. He was remarkable! He was able to relate to human emotions but remain simple and to the point. The thing I find amazing was His way to capture people-and He still does!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• "Wow Bandgeek ... do you have Scripture to back that up? "

That's what I get from reading the NT, the narrative of his life and ministry. Everyone may not interpret or understand it the same way, but that's how it speaks to me (and many others as well *wink*). It would take me forever to go through and pull out specific verses/passages, but I could if you really want me to. In the end, though, it all comes down to how you choose to interpret/understand the passages....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• bandgeek is absolutely correct.. I can think of tons of scripture that backs up what she said! She put the NT in a nutshell. I will add this.. when you walk in this love and compassion.... sin does not have a need in that believer's life because the desire to love and be compassion is greater than the desire to walk in sin. Also when you experience Him... what you will experience is Love, Mercy, Grace and Compassion! The NT is full of examples of all this and more!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• BTW Bandgeek I just about fell out of my chair when I read your post... yet your belief is different as in heaven and hell ect? .. I might be getting you mixed up with someone else tho. Hard to keep track these days :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010