How do I address my older (12yrs) son telling his younger brother (8yrs) what all his Christmas presents are?

My older son told his brother what all his Chirstmas presents are...taking all the fun out of the surprise. I am so upset, I don't know what to do or say to convey how not cool that is to his brother (who IDOLIZES his older brother). What should a logical consequence be the older brother? HELP!

cjmalkin

Asked by cjmalkin at 11:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm not sure how I would handle the immediate situation, however I would not let his older brother in on any of the secrets of presents in the future. Tell him he has lost that privilege and explain to him what the purpose of a "surprise" is. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Why did your older son know what the younger one was getting? I've always kept everyone's gifts a secret from everyone! Makes Christmas morning much more fun for all of us!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• reverse the tags on the packages to where your younger son is getting his brother's presents and the older one is getting the younger one's presents. That way both your sons will be surprised, and if the older one complains, tell him he needs to keep his mouth shut about the presents next year. It worked with my kids when they tried to do the same thing with their siblings (I have a 8, 7,5,4 and 6 month old and the older two were trying to give hints about the younger one's presents to see if they could 'guess' what they were getting, I told them that if they kept it up then I would switch the presents around to where no one knew what anyone was getting)
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 11:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nothing you can do about it now - except talk to your son about why he's such a party pooper!
    Next year DO NOT show him what the brother is getting. Simple!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• AT 12 I think he'd be old enough to understand the concept of surprise...sounds like he was just being mean, but i wonder who he thought he was being mean to? you, or the younger brother? I think I'd be telling him if he does this again I'd be taking presents back to the store that were meant for him (12-yr old).
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I like the idea of reversing the tags.+
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It seems more sensible to explain to your tween that he's taking the element of surprise out his brothers expectations for the gifts. It also affects you and yur husband, because you want to see the surprise, or reaction on the boys faces. Ask him if he remembers the excitement of not knowing what he's getting for X-mas. And for the repercussion of his actions, don't allow him to use any of his X-mas gifts for a certain amount of days. Better yet, don't let him open all his presents until the new year. Hope this helps. My brothers used to do the same thing to me too.
    missmarylou

Answer by missmarylou at 11:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would choose the reverse tags:) It is a brilliant idea.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's too late this year, but maybe next year your 12 year old shouldn't know what the others are getting if he can't keep it to himself.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Let the older one open his gifts and then take them away for a couple of weeks. That happened to me when I told my cousin what he got for Christmas. It worked!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2010