Does anyone know what to do to stop headaches?

I have been getting migraines for about ten years. I have been to tons of doctors and none of them have found a reason as to why I am getting these migraines. They have been written off as chronic migraines and none of the medicines have ever helped me. Most start working and my body just adjusts to them and they stop working. This has also kept me from having a job. I never know when one is going to hit and most of the time if one hits it keeps me in my darkened room for days. I can't go anywhere by myself anymore because of them. Can anyone maybe tell me what I can do about this? I'm so tired of not being able to do what I want. Please help.

mary_whtsn

Asked by mary_whtsn at 11:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Health

• I use to get them all the time. I had to watch what I eat. Had to stop eating spicy food or anything that had red dye in it(pretty much anything that was red). You just have to watch what triggers it. GL
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Do not go to doctors. Go to a counsellor. You have depression and who knows what else. These headaches are not physical headaches but psychical. Try to find out what is in your life that bothers you the best. What childhood trauma can effect you. Or maybe an old love? Something must be there. Go and find a good counsellor. If you find out what did you bury inside you that causes the headaches the migraine will go away.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with nicjon. Most foods can trigger migraines. If you can figure out what you are eating that is doing it, that will make it alot easier.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Had a girlfriend that had migraines and orgasm cured hers no kidding. She read it in a magazine. Good luck
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• For me what worked was a chiropractor. There were certain foods he also told me I need to stay away from or cut back on. I hope you find relief soon.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Certain foods can trigger migraines, same with drink, weather etc...Another cause for migraines is a congential heart defect called a PFO, it's a benign hole, but research has shown that a good portion of migraine sufferers have a PFO, When that hole is closed the migraines are either greatly decreased or gone altogether. A simple echocardiogram can be done to find out if you are a candidate
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Hubby has been having them since he was a kid. They began to get worse in 1998 after an accident at work. He also has fibromyalgia and chronic pain. He takes (60mg 2x and 30mg 2x) 180mg of morphine sulfate and 2400mg of ibuprofen every day and it doesn't even put a dent in his migraines. His are so severe that they cause him to have seizures. They don't know why he is having them either. The chiropractor helped some, but with his other pain issues, it wasn't enough.

I agree with the others about watching for your triggers. I help hubby by noting when his seem to get worse and not letting him do/eat that again. Also, it may help to talk to a therapist. When you live with chronic pain (which is what your headaches are now) you will get depressed and depression can make you hurt as well.

You can try taking 50mg (if you can find that level) of Niacin for the migraine. It's said to help.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Ive had mine since Ive been 5 yrs old. Ive learned to watch what i eat. I also learned to eat the same time everday.. Good luck.
    foreverof4

Answer by foreverof4 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• An orgasm can usually stop a headache if you catch it right at the begining.
    Anonymous