Where can we find a local breeder?

My DH has a red heeler. We want to find someone locally that has a female that we can breed with our male. Must be a pure bred female. Registration papers are not important seeings as our dog is not registered. He has never been bred and we would like to have a puppy from him. Help! He is an awesome dog and very intelligent and great with children. Would like for the mother to be well tempered as well.

gatorswife

Asked by gatorswife at 11:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Try gundogbreeders.com.

BTW - it is not the AKC / purebred breeders and owners that are the cause of animal overpopulation, it is the thoughtless, selfish owners that do not spay or neuter their half-breeds.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It is really sad how ignorant you are coming across calling someone a dumb ass or saying that the people who have a differant answer then what you want to hear has a dumb ass answer. We are giving you honest answers I actually did a paper on this subject in school so I have plenty of facts on this subject aside from what I have seen first hand from working at a vets office, dog training facility and several differant animal shelters. Millions of animals are put to sleep in our country because of someone wants to breed their dog and those pups end up in shelters (many of which are purebred). The fact that you don't care about what happens to the rest of the litter is a good reason for you NOT to breed him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not to be mean, but my experience with purebred dogs is that they almost always have some sort of health problem. The mixed breed dogs I've owned seemed to fare better.

What will happen with the other puppies from the litter, since you only want one of them? With as many unwanted pets as are being put down in shelters every day, is it a good idea to add more puppies to the mix?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sorry....dont support the idea of people purposely MAKING puppies when 1,000s die everyday needlessly....dont care if it is a purebred_ means nothing to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• READ THIS IF YOU ARE ABLE:
    Despite increased public awareness over the past 40 years about the need to spay and neuter pets, 35 percent of pet owners in the U.S. still choose not to do so. Many among this group intentionally choose to breed their pets, either for profit or for what they mistakenly believe to be a “fun” experience.

Many people who breed their pets believe they aren't adding to the pet overpopulation problem if they find homes for all their puppies or kittens. But consider this: Every puppy or kitten sold by an irresponsible breeder means there is one more shelter animal that will not find a home. And many of those same kittens and puppies will end up in shelters themselves at some point in their life. There are currently about 163 million pet cats and dogs in the U.S., and about one out of every 20 ends up in a shelter each year.
    Anonymous

• Please don't take offense.
    This is what anon is trying to say:

Say you breed your dog, the female has 5 pups, you take one, that leaves four, the owner of the female is not a responsible person, he/she can't find good homes for the other pups, one goes to an abusive home, 3 end up in shelters, of those three; 2 get put down. Is it worth one puppy for you when 4 get destroyed or mal-treated?

You only want one dog, but you are responsible for creating those other 4 unwanted dogs. See the point anon is trying to make?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• How is being responsible neglecting your families needs and wants. If you want a puppy of the same breed there are purbred rescues out there. There are also REPUTABLE BREEDERS out there that actually care about their dogs who take the time to have their dogs tested and shown to ensure their dogs are champions of the breed and worth breeding. There are to many breeding just because they want a puppie just like their dog. You do realize that even if you do breed him that puppy may not be what you are expecting. You certainly don't NEED to breed the dog. There are to many dogs ending up in shelters, on the streets or died because so many did what you want to do.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You must not have ever been loved by something more intelligent than yourself. So.....you are saying your dog is more intellegent than you? hmmmmm.... Pure bred dogs are worth way more than any mix breed mutt. That is completely your opinion. worth is all in the eye of the beholder. I have a mix breed who was a shelter saved dog and she is intellegent and loving and fabulous.

So the female that you breed will only have one pup? What happens to the rest, oh yeah...you wont know....they might be adoped by a famlly who surrenders them to a shelter and they are put down. 

completly ignorant of what I am trying to point out to you, how about going to find a heeler that is already here on the Earth and give them a home. 

Anonymous

• I don't really care how many pups she has or what they do with them for that matter

EXACTLY the point I am trying to make....you create these pups and then they very well can be put down b/c of you being irresponsible.

I go anon b/c you obviously are one of those women (judging from your language) who likes to take the argument outside and I would rather you not stalk me on my page.
    Anonymous

• 2nd scenario:

Your dog sires the 5 pups, you take your one pup, people who may have adopted from a shelter buy the four remaining pups, four dogs at the shelter have to be put down.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010