I feel guilty....I know I shouldnt...but I feel awkward when I am around them....

My brother and SIL were married about 1 1/2 ago....and have been trying to have a baby....but so far...have been been unable to become pregnant...I KNOW they still have plenty of time...but SIL has several health issues that I feel will make it more difficult for them to become pregnant...

I am pregnant with my 3rd.....and every time I am around them I feel funny and awkward...I try not to talk about my baby....but others ask questions and such.....

Have you ever felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've been in your SIL's position and please don't feel awkward. If she's like I was, she's happy for you even if she's a little envious. I always felt more awkward when people didn't talk about their babies or invite me to their showers, etc., because they thought it would be painful for me. It was much more painful to be left out.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My sister and I both had a hard time getting pregnant. We did the same procedure at the same time. I got pregnant ands he didnt. I felt the same way. However, I realized my daughter deserves to be talked about and celebrated no matter what.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If you feel funny about being pregnant when your SIL is having trouble, try including her in your plans for shopping for your child and decorating the room. My aunt and uncle were the same way, even when I was having children they were trying to have one of their own (my aunt and uncles are only 10, 11, and 12 years older than me). I included my aunt in the pregnancy with each and every one of my kids and now they (my kids) are super close to my uncle and aunt.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yeah someone my ex worked with could not have a child and I was 18 she was trying to convice him to have me sign the child over to her. After it was awkward when they would come around I felt bad but not bad enough to give her my child.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's great that your in tune with her feelings and sensitive to her situation. If you truly want to be caring, follow her lead. Let her set the tone. If she's quite quiet about it, why not ask her? There's nothing wrong with saying "I'm excited about this baby and I'd love to have you share in decorating the nursery with me (or shopping for baby clothes or whatever) , but I completely understand if that's not something you want to do right now' and let it go. Let her be the one to choose how she would or would not be involved.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010