My 14 month old amazes me.....is this pretty normal behavior?

My 14 month old DD does things that completely amaze me. After I change her diaper, she takes the dirty diaper and walks across 2 rooms to throw it in the garbage for me. She puts trash cans away when I'm done emptying them into the big garbage can. If I ever drop anything, she picks it up and hands it to me. If I'm working in the kitchen, she'll hang the towel up when I'm done with it. She also unloads the dishwasher, and hands each item up to me one at a time. To me, it seems like 14 months is awfully young for her to be doing these things. Of course, I LOVE it, but is this normal for someone so young?

Gemska

Asked by Gemska at 11:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter does the same thing. She is now 27 months but has been doing this for a long time. We always say she's a little OCD :) When we used to take her to a gym class, she would be cleaning all of the toys up instead of playing!! He favorite word is "help". lol...take advantage and hope she still wants to help when she's 12!! :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Every child is different. At this age, they are most likely imitating what they see. That's how they learn. :) It sounds like she's doing great!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i dont know about "normal" , i mean, its probably not something that most 14 month olds do, but, i wouldnt call it abnormal either. she either likes to help mommy or likes to copy mommy or it could be a combination of both. either way, sounds like you have an awesome little helper on your hands! sounds so cute and enjoy her :) my 24 month old likes to help me fold laundry by taking each piece of clothing out of the basket one by one and handing it to me lol!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That's so cute! There is never a child quite as amazing as the ones in our own homes, LOL, but our son did this, too. (Can't remember the exact age, though.) It's called mimicking and especially if you are a SAHM, they have seen you do it 1000 times. They say that imitation is the highest compliment, so you must be doing a great job! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Haha sounds lucky my daughter did the same thing she is now two and cleans her room when she's done playing in there and told my mom last night that her room is so messy. My daughter loves making her bed a sweeping lol so if I were you id be excited lol
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sounds like maybe I should buy her one of those mini-cleaning sets with the miniature broom and stuff for her to play clean with. I was a little worried just because someone came over and seemed to think that I was *making* her help and I tried explaining that she was doing it on her own...it's not like I'm training her to do it. Thanks for the answers, ladies!
    Gemska

Comment by Gemska (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• LOL my daughter loved helping with things like that even at 14 months. This is such a great age. Enjoy it.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 12:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010