once a c-section always a c-section?

A few people have told me that once you have a c-section you have to (or it's the safest) have a c-section for following pregnancies. Is this true? I had a c-section 5 months ago, but I am hoping for a natural birth with my next baby. Can that cause complications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a lot of people will tell you that you can have a VBAC (vaginal birth after ceserean. There are a few doctors that will do it but yes the risks are higher with bleeding, scar tissue, etc. Do your own research. I had a c-section with my daughter and don't regret anything. good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm in the same boat as you. I DON'T plan to have another c-section with my next pregnancy. I'm going to try a midwife. I have learned that excercising and preparing your body before your next pregnancy is a key part in having a successful vbac. Some hospitals will do vbacs, some will not. I also learned that the chance of your uterus rupturing during a vbac is really really low. So no, you don't have to take your doc's word for it, you can educate yourself and decide if you want another c-section or a vaginal birth after c-section.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• There are a lot of risks for having a VBAC. This is something best to talk to your doctor about. I had a c-section and because of the risks I would not have a natural delivery. but try to google VBAC. You should be able to find a lot of information on it. For the most part it depends on how long ago you had your last c-section.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• not necessarily true. if you go to an ob then surely you will be talked into a repeat cesarean. but it also depends on the length of time from your last incision (although i asked the ob i went to for my 3rd and she said it doesn't matter if it's been 3 years or 13, i will always have to have a cesarean from now on) it probably depends on which ob you go to also. find a midwive for your next pregnancy, they will work with you on your birthing plan. its always best to wait atleast 18-24 months to get pregnant again, vaginal or cesarean to let everything heal. the chances of you having a vbac may be higher the longer you wait. ive heard that the risk of rupture during a vbac is LESS than the risk of complications during abdominal surgery.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No. VBAC's are very safe. The risks of a c/s increase with each one you have.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No, you can have a VBAC. This is an option you should discuss with your doctor.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• In my case it was true, all 3 of mine were c-sections- but that was me and due to medical issues I have. I do know people who have had VBAC. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this and let them know that is something you are seriously thinking of.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My first was an emergency c-sec
    My 2nd was VBAC. they ended up using the vaccum to get her out
    My 3rd was a scheduled c-sec.
    The Dr wanted me to have it natural, but something was telling me not too. I had a scheduled c-sec with 3rd. The Dr told me afterwards I made the right decision, because the cord was wrapped around his neck so many times, that there would not have been enough cord to get him out and he would of had to do the c-sec anyways.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That rule goes back to the days of twighlt sleep. ACOG is once again encouraging VBAC. The only reason they were discouraging them before was that doctors sometimes induce a Trial of Labor, and INDUCTION with a previous scar is very dangerous. If you decide to try for VBAC you will have to pick your doctor very carefully. Most of them don't know what the heck they are doing. Some induce. Some bait and switch telling you they are all for VBAC until they can find some little reason to schedule a c-section. If you choose VBAC be prepared for a lot of reading!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010